• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. AlsPine

New Owner, Where to start?

Once you get it running, you should replace the 3 Flexible brake lines, 2 that go to the front calipers and one that goes from the body to the rear "T" on the differential, as if they are original, they may have swollen and become restrictive, then can fail.
  2. AlsPine

53 Alpine transmission parts help

If it is high quality aluminum, and not pot metal, you should be able to have it welded up and then reform the saddle. It would need to be absolutely clean, no solvent residue, and DO NOT USE brake cleaner as when welding anything cleaned with it, it will emit a very toxic gas that I believe is...
  3. AlsPine

Gearbox removal got stuck

If you are going to do an engine rebuild, why not find a 1725 and upgrade. Rick has new 1725 short blocks. You will need to swap out the pistons though as those blocks are low compression blocks. But the best bet is to find a complete 1725, then you have everything you need.
  4. AlsPine

Gearbox removal got stuck

Why not just buy a new pressure plate from Rick, unless he is out of stock.
  5. AlsPine

Aluminum Oil Pan… Baffle?

I added an oil temp sender to my pan before installing it. Took the face plate out of an oil pressure gauge and replaced the water temperature face plate with it.
  6. AlsPine

Need Help Looking at a Tiger

Hi, Sent a message to the STOA Tac people, If we have someone near there, well let you know. This group inspects and certifies Tigers to be genuine, and not a clone.
  7. AlsPine

Overdrive Warning Light Ideas

This is the OD lens for a series 3. Series 4 and 5 used the rectangle shaped OD lens that matched the other lenses of those series.
  8. AlsPine

Timing chain tensioner

Then the oil will leak out of the rear crankshaft seal, you just cant win. I have a nice drip pan as required for Alpines.
  9. AlsPine

Tampa FL Area

Wow, $900 to rebuild the calipers. I hope he replaced the pistons with stainless steel pistons. SS and other suppliers have the stainless pistons and rebuild kits for around one hundred dollars. It is easy to rebuild them. If the piston doesn't come out with compressed air, just drill and tap...
  10. AlsPine

Hood issue

Not familiar with series 1/2 hinges, must be different from the later ones. Are there adjustment slots on the hood attachment and body attachment points? If so can you slide the body point of he hinge up, then slid the hood down? There must be a way to adjust them, as from the factory the hinge...
  11. AlsPine

Engine start outside of car

I edited my 1st post, as I just assumed that anyone replacing an engine in a early Alpine would go for a 1725 engine. Should have looked at the photo instead of starting the reply. Was hoping to hear a response from you Londoner, please check in! Regards
  12. AlsPine

Cut and pasted the photo and enlarged it. Yes it does have the flywheel and pressure plate attached. The simplest thing to do is run a compression test. As long as the compression is 160 to 185 lbs and not more than 10 to 15 lbs variance between cylinders, your good to go. Just running it for...
  13. AlsPine

Bought on email or ebay? I hope this engine works out for you.
  14. AlsPine

Also, a good opportunity to clean and paint it. You might want to check the tightness of the pan bolts, but be careful of the side cover, as you can start a leak by over tightening those bolts.
  15. AlsPine

Just looked at the photo. From what I could make out, he didn't give you the flywheel and starter. I would still get everything I would need to run the compression test before installing it. Also pay attention to any unusual sounds or knocking while cranking it over. I wouldn't want to crank it...
  16. AlsPine

Is the engine upright on the pallet?--- ((Didn't look at the photo, 1600 engine so N/A---Did you get the oil cooler and lines with it)) Did he say how many miles it had on it? If is upright on the palet, I would put oil in the crankcase, replace the oil filter, make sure the outlet for the oil...
  17. AlsPine

Won't Idle Properly

Did you run a cylinder compression test?
  18. AlsPine

Harmonic Balancer / pully nut

Put the transmission in 1st gear, apply the emergency brake, block the rear wheels. if it still moves the car, have someone press on the brake pedal. Otherwise, you can take the dust cover off of the bell housing and block the flywheel teeth to prevent the engine turning while you torque the bolt.
  19. AlsPine

Oil Cooler Cleaning and Install Tips

I used lacquer thinner. Filled it half full so you can agitate, shake it back and forth, pour it out to see how dirty it is, then fill it up and let it sit for a few hours, pour about half out again, give the cooler another shake, them pour it out and evaluate weather you need to do it again...
  20. AlsPine

Brake Return Spring

Your Welcome!