• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Chad

X frame repair sections.

…or biggest firewall doghouse? Always wanted a ‘mid engine super car’ I guess!
  2. Chad

X frame repair sections.

Yes, I had mandrel-bent 2x3 frame rails that extend from my new MX5 front subframe (narrowed 3”), to my new rear subframe (also MX5 gen3/NC, narrowed 5.75”). My rolling chassis was reaaallly rough from the floorboards and below, which has given me both the need and the guilt free opportunity to...
  3. Chad

X frame repair sections.

I’ve found nests in the A-pillars, the tank crossover pipe, up inside the front inner fender reinforcers (noticed after welding in the area and smelled what seemed like “toast”), and of course in the X frames. My solution to the latter is several shop vac access ports:
  4. Chad

Rear Frame Rails

I’ve just cut my rear frame rails out. Having cut into and through them in several places, they’re not as simple as they look from the outside, with internal layers and folds and dimples and thickness changes and what-have-you. And, they’re not simple to remove if you want to preserve the...
  5. Chad

HLM - Dashboard formica

I think you’ll have a hard time finding curly or fiddleback wood grains in a Formica-style plastic laminate. Unlike burls, those grains need the wood’s grain structure to show properly, and a simple wood image will never capture that. The “magic” of fiddleback woods is the way they change...
  6. Chad

Size of stock Alpine rear axle.

Hah, and pick up an as-removed S4 3.9-ish rear end while passing thru Missouri!
  7. Chad

Non-peaked headlight trim rings

Yes I agree it’ll take more than a screwdriver to install them. My car had the trim rings held in place with a 3” deck screw, so I wasn’t too worried about these having a visible screw - I was just looking for a way to not have the “hood”, while still having the “peak”. These fit the fender...
  8. Chad

Non-peaked headlight trim rings

If David’s offer doesn’t work out, I’d keep an eye out for these on eBay.
  9. Chad

Even more parts the sequel - Unsold parts will be scrapped January 31st

Hi, I’m interested in a pair of the headlight buckets. Are you able to ship? 63501
  10. Chad

looking for steering wheel for 67 alpine

It looks like the shaft would have been adjustable, and it looked like it was original to the car as I removed it. I never tried out the adjustable function. It was sold a little while ago. The wheel was just sitting on the end, with no nut.
  11. Chad

ok, tearing into this car I get to learn things about the car, and the PO, more and more!
  12. Chad

Wow, interesting. I had thought all the early vs late stuff was sorted by the time of the S4. Turns out I have an S4 early wheel then unless my PO just plunked a random wheel on before I got the car?
  13. Chad

Interior stuff

Yes I do have the steering wheel. See the pic in the thread above for its condition- the plastic rim is thoroughly cracked. I had resigned myself to just keeping it on a wall hook as shop decoration! I’ll figure out shipping to Martin GA and that’s all I’ll ask for it. PM coming your way later...
  14. Chad

X frame repair sections.

With better light (or maybe just not looking through a dusty face shield…), I saw about 3/4 of the spot weld dimples and drilled them out. The edges stitches need to be aggressively cut away and through, and the spot welds from the floor also weld the plate to the lower arm. Swinging a hammer in...
  15. Chad

X frame repair sections.

No, I’m trying to keep access open to the interior for now. Before adding new structure, I’ll definitely brace and measure the chassis for twist. I’m trying to schedule the chassis to get vapor blasted next week, so right now I’m just wanting to cut away the stuff that hides the other bad...
  16. Chad

X frame repair sections.

In the pic, you can see the door opening truss I’ve added. Here’s a better pic:
  17. Chad

X frame repair sections.

For as bad as mine looks, I’m only planning to keep the middle 25” of it. The leaked-oil path down the center has preserved most of that. I just had some full length 2x3 frame rails bent that will replace the partial ones at the front and the spring arches at the back, allowing me to trim away...
  18. Chad

X frame repair sections.

You mean like before almost completely removing the inner, middle, and outer rocker? ;-)
  19. Chad

X frame repair sections.

Thanks Matthew and Dan. It seemed like the path of least resistance would be to remove these top plates, sandblast the frame arm interiors, mend/patch as needed/revealed, then add the plates back on. I’ll see how I get along, tomorrow!