• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. woodybap

Hood pins

Looking for recommendations on hood pins [preferably locking] that would work on an S1 in lieu of the standard bonnet latching system.
  2. woodybap

Dashboard Removal

Time to tackle ongoing electric issues. I never did get the temperature gauge to work and I am constantly blowing fuses as I try to work on it. Also, the heater motor is not working. The space under and behind the dash is difficult to see and work on. I figure that it would be easily to...
  3. woodybap

Car Cover / Storage Bag / Mouse Proof

For various reasons it is time for me to plan for the off-season from working on the Alpine. Our Sheltered in Place location requires that the car be stored outside. The mice here love to shelter as well, usually in cars where they are warmer and can snack on wiring. Any recommendations for a...
  4. woodybap

Clean Zenith carb filters or just move on?

My mongrel has Zenith WIP-36 carbs on a 1725 engine. The gauze filters are filthy. Looking for suggestions on the best way to clean the filters. Also wondering whether swapping out the carbs for something better suited to the 1725 is a worthwhile endeavor. There is no issue about keeping...
  5. woodybap

Temp Sender & Gauge

Hi There: My 'mongrel' of an Alpine is mostly SI [body] and SV [engine]. Not getting a correct reading on the temp gauge [all the way to the left or just budging a smidge]. Have grounded the sender and the needle jumps to the right so I am thinking 'bad sender'. Checked hartmandm's fabulous data...
  6. woodybap

Series V speedo disguised as a Series I

While most of the body parts on my Alpine are Series I it now appears the transmission is a later Series IV or a Series V. I tried replacing my broken “Series I” speedo but the needle on the ‘new’ Series I ran wild. Further inspection revealed that what looked like a Series I speedo was...
  7. woodybap

Block Off Plate - Fuel Pump

Anyone have a block off plate to cover the mounting for a fuel pump on a 1725? Replaced with electric pump and would like to remove the mechanical pump.
  8. woodybap

Recos for Electric Fuel Pump

I am looking to replace my existing electric fuel pump and separate pressure regulator with an “all-in-one” pump at the right pressure setting [which I believe is 1.75 psi]. The current setup is under the hood which is my preferred location. The carbs are zenith WIP-36 the engine is a 1725...
  9. woodybap

Cover to Block off old Mechanical Fuel Pump

When my mechanical fuel pump died, I replaced it with an electric pump. The mechanical pump is still mounted to the 1725 but the inlet and outlet fittings are blocked off. I recall reading that it is advisable to remove the mechanical pump altogether and cover the hole. Does anyone have a...
  10. woodybap

Mounting for Electric Fuel Pump

The fuel pump died 8 miles into my maiden travel. Forunately I was within pushing distance of a friend's house where we temporarily installed an electric fuel pump using one of the mounting bolts of the brake servo. Looking for suggestions on a better permanent location for the pump and...
  11. woodybap

Speedo Questions - S1 sorta

Well I finally got the car on the road. Ninety miles of far right lane freeway driving surrounded by 18 wheelers. A bit intimidating but oh so satisfying. There are 2 'adjusters' hanging from the speedo. One resets the tripometer. The other [at present] does nothing. Anyone know what it is...
  12. woodybap

S1 Fuel Filler cap

Does anyone have a lead on where I can get one?
  13. woodybap

Carbs and hoses - interference

Today was a good day. I have reached the point where the engine runs and the wheels turn. I was actually able to take the car off its jacks and motor around the neighborhood. However there is still much under the hood that needs fixing. The 2 areas that need to be addressed are the carbs...
  14. woodybap

Door Limiting Strap

Looking for some suggestions on replacing the LH door limiting strap on an S1. I followed the threads on the forum and was able to remove the pin on the frame side but cannot figure out how to remove the old worn strap from the door. Have a new one from SS. Is there a trick to the R&R?
  15. woodybap

Steering Cross Tube bushings

Posted the following but was able to dig deeper into prior posts for possible solutions. Wish me luck. "I need to replace the cross tube bushings on my ‘mostly’ SI but just cannot get to the old ones. Just no room to move around in there. Spent some time freeing up the steering box in the...
  16. woodybap

Tool [Advice] for Rear Axle Seal for S1

Rear axle seal is leaking on my S1 and needs to be replaced. The hub puller I have does not fit and I do not see an apporopriate tool in the online catalogs. Hence my current inquiry on tools or alternatives that are available to get the hub out of the way.
  17. woodybap

Engine ID

Now that the bonnet issue is resolved, it is now time to get down and dirty with the engine. The chassis and engine numbers do not match so the engine has been replaced. What I have not been able to locate is a chart that IDs the engine. The engine number is B395001171. What is it?
  18. woodybap

Hood will not open!

Newbie here. I recently acquired a 1961 Alpine Series I. A lot of fun to drive but needs work to increase its reliability. I am looking forward to my “Project” but have encountered an early glitch. I cannot get the hood to open. It worked a few times but now nothing. The rod through the...