• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. clhiller

OD concerns

Recently I was driving in 4OD, slowed for a corner, downshifted to 3OD and as I started to accelerate the transmission/OD felt like it was slipping. I upshifted to 4OD and continued to accelerate and it felt fine I tried the 3OD acceleration again later and it felt the same way (slipping...
  2. clhiller

Generator pulley nut

Hello all Recently my generator pulley nut decided to depart and explore the world on its' own. What is the size/pitch of said nut? S1 Thanks, Collin
  3. clhiller

980 speedometer for a S1

I’m looking for a 980 rev/mile speedo for my S1 with OD.
  4. clhiller

Cam question

In the process of rehabbing my new-to-me 1960 Series 1 last winter, I found that the block was out of a RapierII. I have the alloy head and appropriate carbs on it, but was wondering if the cam specs are different between the Rapier and the Alpine?
  5. clhiller

Car cover

Now that I have my S1 looking the way I want it, I need a decent cover. It will be stored indoors, so it need only keep the dust off. What do you have and where did you guys get it?
  6. clhiller

Diff whine

During my refresh this winter, I was able to replace the existing 4:55 Rapier rearend with a 4:22. All the bearings seemed in good shape, I was concerned about the amount of backlash. A mechanic buddy checked it out with the Mark I eyeball and pronounced it "good enough". Now when I drive, in...
  7. clhiller

Lift a dot stud

Hello everyone I have a tonneau cover for my series 1. The double height stud on the fs wing has the knob on the top busted off. The stud itself is fastened to the windshield frame just ahead of the door. I have tried to gently remove the stud, but it doesn't want to budge. Before I do...
  8. clhiller

LED running and signal lights

Hello all I have changed all my running/signal/brake lights to LED. I have installed a EFL-3 flasher. Here's my problem. When the running lights are off, the signal lights work fine. When the running lights are on, the signal lights will neither light up nor flash. They are just dead. I have...
  9. clhiller

Windscreen washer pump

Has anyone attempted to disassemble and refurbish the windscreen washer pump. Mine will pump a little dribble but is very slow to rebound and doesn’t draw much fluid in on the out stroke.
  10. clhiller

Priming fuel pump

Hello all. Hopefully everyone is well! I have got the engine back in my series 1. Rebuilt the fuel pump and now I have to get the pump primed. What is the quickest/easiest way to do this? Thanks, Collin
  11. clhiller

Rear end issues

Well, I got started on the rear end this week. Leaky bearing seals and pinion seal . I also was wanting to put a 3.89 rear end in it if I could find one as it seemed to be a real high revver on the highway. I also felt some movement in the nearside rear wheel when I grabbed it at the 12 and 6...
  12. clhiller

3.89 differential

I am looking for a 3.89 diff to replace my 4.22. Either crown wheel and pinion, or whole pumpkin. Series 1.
  13. clhiller

Adding an OD to my series I

I’m ready to get organized to install my engine/transmission. The transmission that was in the car was a nine OD unit. The rebuilt OD transmission is a non synchro unit. There is wiring and a switch and light already installed in the car, so there must have been an OD transmission installed at...
  14. clhiller

Transmission top cover

I am in the process of replacing my 4 speed with an OD transmission. My non-OD has the early top cover with the dipstick, but the OD one does not. I'd like to keep the dipstick if I could. Are the top covers interchangeable? They are both early transmissions (no synchro in first).
  15. clhiller

Some more Zenith carb questions

Now that I have the head modded/ported and skimmed, I'm on to the carbs. On a series 1, heres what I have. Front carb is stamped C1688F 36 WIP2 1046821 Rear carb is 36 WIP3...
  16. clhiller

New clutch time?

What do you guys think about this clutch plate? Time for a new one? I never had any issue with it slipping or anything, but it is cheap and easy to replace now that its out.
  17. clhiller

Starting on head work

Hey all I got my head off the the block and want to start a vizard mod. Questions -From the looks of the head gasket, there was some leakage between cylinders 1 & 2. Cylinder 2 showed evidence of coolant leakage. Could this contribute to the overheating issue I had? -when I put the new head...
  18. clhiller

Removing engine

I am getting ready to remove the engine and tranny from my S1. I have the workshop manual and am pretty confident in the steps required. I'm just wondering where is the best place to attach my engine hoist. I have a tilting device to angle the engine/tranny to get it in and out, but which holes...
  19. clhiller

2.8l from Bronco 2

I have been lurking here and reading up on doing the v-6 conversion with the Cologne 2.8. I know the best one is the earlier version from the Mustang 2/Capri, and the later version from the Ranger/Bronco 2 doesn’t fit as well because of the different water pump. If the length of the water pump...
  20. clhiller

New owner, newbie questions

Hello. Just picked up a series 1 alpine. Older restoration, but runs and drives well. 4 speed transmission that sometime jumps out of second, but the purchase included a "rebuilt" transmission with OD that will be my winter project. I'm also going to replace all engine gaskets and seals as...