• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Scotty

SV Speedometer input 'screw' size?

Hi folks! Anyone know what the size of the outside 'screw' on the back of the Speedo that the cable screws onto is? I picked up a set of replica Smiths gauges from India (that Speedo 'screw-on' is M18x1.5) and I'd ideally like to adapt it to the speedo cable I got. I'll post a pic when I'm...
  2. Scotty

Squeaky Shifter

SIV, 1725, All-Sync Gearbox. Over the past few days I started hearing a squeaking when shifting gears and it sounded very similar to a throw-out bearing going out. I started the car and pressed and depressed the clutch a number of times at neutral and at different points in the clutch and there...
  3. Scotty

Bumper Blade

Hi all, I know I have posts to respond to and I apologize to all of you for not doing so. Life's been nuts on my end since I got back working. I'm looking for a single driver quality bumper blade. No overriders or brackets or such, just the blade. It's for a SIV but I'm already using earlier...
  4. Scotty

Need Some Validation

I drive this car daily and I'm trying to keep it that way. So I've been fouling plugs like mad and have had gas flooding the car, so I redid my Weber. Adjusted the float to spec (it was off by quite abit), changed the oil, plugs, etc. My adjustment went from 1-3/4 to 2 turns on mixture. I have...
  5. Scotty

Clear Inline Fuel Filter (From Mechanical Pump to Carb)

What is everyone using for their cars? I've been reading up on Microns and other miscellany on this for carbs and so forth. General rule seems to be 40 Microns if your system is carbureted and from what I've read, the glass metal types are absolute poison. Was curious if there was a...
  6. Scotty

Wide Bumper Bracket Spacing Problem

One of my front bumper brackets was bent causing the bumper to tilt upwards on the driver side, so I ordered a new pair from Rick The good news is my bumpers are now horizontally true. The bad news is that I now have a ~1/2” space between the front of the car and the brackets shown in the...
  7. Scotty

SIV-V Alternate Hubcaps?

I figure this is a modified question, thus I'll post it here. If it belongs elsewhere, please accept my apologies and feel free to move this. I'm considering changing out the 'Center Hub Caps' or whatever the proper parlance is on my SIV. I have the 8 'Kidney' stock rims running the center...
  8. Scotty

E-Brake Cable Floor Pan Hole

What exactly is supposed to go in the GIANT round hole (in comparison) that the small E-Brake cable goes through my floor pan? (And no it's not rust, that floor had whatever surface rust was there nuked from orbit lol) I've been blocking it off with various things and would like to know if...
  9. Scotty

1965 (67?) Sunbeam Alpine

No relation to seller. Juding by the edges I think it might be a SV. https://www.ebay.com/itm/285230343985?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=4117f041fc334735a4d5536474cf26bc&bu=45116695688&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20230411183954&segname=11051
  10. Scotty

Driver Seat Cover (Lower)

"Pattern" is for a SIII-SV. The cover I have is tearing along the seams of the inner sides of the seat, so I need a new one. My seats are in fairly good condition, why I'm trying to save what I have instead of dropping the money for a whole kit to redo them. I need one that's in good, untorn...
  11. Scotty

Mechanical Fuel Pump Leak

My SIV has a mechanical fuel pump and I noticed its leaking from under the 'outlet' hose that goes from the pump to the fuel filter to the Weber 32/36. I put my finger under the hose and got a small drop of liquid. I'm thinking the hose somehow loosened itself just enough to have a leak. I...
  12. Scotty

Oil Gauge Thread Size

I’ve looked damn near everywhere and I can’t find this; Does anyone know what the thread size is on the back of the stock Oil Gauge, where the gauge ‘screws’ into the nut on the stock plastic hose line of a SIV? Thanks in advance!
  13. Scotty

Tachometer Wiring

I know there are a lot of posts on this subject, which I have gone through. I want to make sure that I'm not somehow being an idiot and that this 'new' Tach I picked up wasn't a potato. Here's a pic of how I have it wired: If you look at this will the hole for the light bulb at the top, the...
  14. Scotty

SIII-V? Map Light Lens

Does anyone make these anymore? I have one that's in usable condition but I'm looking for something closer to new. Any tips or ideas? Thanks fam!
  15. Scotty

Heater control slide switch replacement

I have a SIV and I have had a broken slide switch stem for the left side since I've owned the car. I acquired a replacement and am trying to figure out if I really need to yank out the dashboard or if there's an "easier" (absolutely a relative term here) way to switch them out. Thoughts? Thanks...
  16. Scotty

Blowing Distributor Rotors

Are there special distributor rotors that I should be using if I have 'electronic points' in my Lucas Distributor? I ask this because I have now blown a handful of rotors in a short period of time and it's a downright Scooby Doo mystery. I'm not seeing any difference in voltage anywhere along...
  17. Scotty

Motor Mounts

How do I know visually when our mounts are bad? I had new ones put in when they dropped the rebuilt 1725 in and heard those may be too stiff. The engine has a slight shaking issue and I’ve checked everything. The car runs very well otherwise. Thoughts? Also, where is a good supplier for mounts...
  18. Scotty

Voltmeter Help

What is the correct way to wire in a Voltmeter for a SIV? I have the stock wiring setup and a Hitachi Alternator. Can I wire it to the stock fuse box? Thanks in advance!!
  19. Scotty

Q: For those using Valvoline VR1 20w-50

What have been your experiences with using it? Does it create sludge or issues with running in an Alpine motor, either the 1725 or others? I keep reading all sorts of 'advice' to run some sort of 20w-50 in a 'classic English car' (Moss Motors included) and am curious to the kind of damage it may...
  20. Scotty

1725 Break-In Oil Viscosity?

I know this is a rabbit hole of a topic, but I'm going to ask just out of curiosity. What is the generally accepted break-in oil viscosity used for our 1725's and what is considered the standard viscosity used? I'm assuming the Shell 100X-40 is (in so many and somewhat inaccurate words due to...