• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

Going.... going.... gone!

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this message, but it's the only one I have used. My experience with Rosie the Sunbeam Alpine is coming to an end. My wife and I are moving and there will be no place for her (Rosie not the wife) to stay. It has been a pleasure over the past few years to...
  2. B

Carburetor confusion - Stromberg - 150 CD

I purchased my67 Alpine SV a few years back and have never been truly happy with the way it runs at low speed. The dual Strombergs run rich. I have faithfully followed the instructions in the owner's manual as well as more detailed advice in the Haynes Workshop Manual on carburetor settings and...
  3. B

Stromberg 150 C.D. carburettors

Can anyone please advise where I might purchase rebuild kits for the twin Strombergs on my SV Alpine? Thanks
  4. B

Noisy doors

Ok, I know it's not a Volvo or an expensive car, but it sure would be nice if the doors didn't clatter as they do when they are "slammed" shut. I have added sound deadening material to the inside of the door panel, tried to separate the window wind up linkages, the door handle linkage, added...
  5. B

Bonnet release problem

There are of course two latches associated with the one release cable; the primary and the "safety" latch. The main latch releases when the release handle is pulled and up pops the bonnet. Pulling the release handle further releases the secondary latch but the bonnet does not pop up any further...
  6. B

An interior question 67 SV

I'm doing some reupholstering and there's an area no one but me will likely ever see - the underside of the glove box lid. I'd sure appreciate some advice as to how it should be finished to look "proper"? (In case someone does one day have a look).;) Cheers
  7. B

A couple of SV quickies.

1. Did every 1967 Alpine originally come with an ashtray? I've encountered two that do not have one. 2. What is the maximum pressure the proper original oil gauge shows on this same car? Thanks
  8. B

Oil pressure gauge fitting SV

This is an odd one. When a bought the car it had a "Pep Boys" oil pressure gauge. The fitting by which the flexible oil gauge line attached to the metal supply line was changed for that gauge. I now have a "proper" gauge with a new proper flexible line. But the flexible line cannot be attached...
  9. B

firewall grommet question

The grommets in the firewall of my 67 SV have, over the years deteriorated to the point in some cases, being non-existent. The throttle linkage grommet is a case in point. Where the linkage passes through the firewall is a fairly large hole. This is adequate to allow the up and down (not in...
  10. B

Spare Wheel

My series V came with Panasports and no spare. The well for the spare will not hold a spare Panasport. I need an original steel wheel (with the 4 bolt pattern). (There's one tireless one on eBay in Canada but it would likely cost a bundle to ship it here to Florida). Anyone out there have a...
  11. B

Dumb question re SV seats.

I bought this car partially restored so there are a number of issues that I am coming across like this one. With the seat back locked in place, I can rotate the entire seat (both of them) about the front pivot (whose purpose seems to be to allow some small amount of seat height adjustment). Is...
  12. B

A timely question

Is the proper clock in a SV a Smiths or Jaeger? Thanks.
  13. B

An unpleasant noise - Alpine V

As I row through the gears a loud metallic buzz occurs as I pass through a mid RPM range. I have checked and adjusted the entire exhaust system, made sure there was no interference with the floor or frame, everything is hung on rubber fittings, even replaced a resonator that was suspect. I have...
  14. B

Temperature gauge

It's been some time since I worked on the 67 V, but now I'm back at it. I need a new/rebuilt temp gauge and OEMs or even reproductions are unavailable. The sending unit seems to work OK. There are several Jaeger units available on the internet for series I, II etc. Is there a major problem...
  15. B

Wiring diagram

Hello Beamers: I really need to rewire most of the instrument in my 67 Alpine and have been unable to find a decent S5 wiring diagram. Series 4 diagrams are available on eBay. Are the S4 and S5 greatly different? Could I get most of what I need to know from a S4 diagram? As always, thanks for...
  16. B

Gauges, gauges, gauges

Thanks for the advice re the gas smell fellows. Now to my next problem. All the gauges in my 67 SV have to come out for one reason or another. I've had Jags before that allowed the fascia panel to be lowered so access to the back of the gauges could be fairly easily achieved. How does one go...
  17. B

Gas smell

Having just acquired this little gem a few weeks ago, I'm having great fun learning about its character and its quirks When, after being closed for a day or two I open the trunk lid, the smell of gasoline is very noticeable. I apparently have a "leak" somewhere back here. Any thoughts as to...
  18. B

SV rubber mystery (for newby).

On the cross member at the front of the trunk/boot, on either side of where the spare wheel would go (if I had one), are two rubberlike "dimples" about 1.5in dia and 1in high. What the heck are they for? Thanks as always.
  19. B

battery compartment SV

Quick question. Should there be a hold down clamp for the battery? Mine just sits quietly in the box behind the passenger seat. Thanks
  20. B

Breather Filter

Page 35 of my Series V Owner's Handbook recommends I clean the "crankcase breather filter located on the engine tappet cover." I have seen nothing like this on any of the SVs I've looked at. Can someone enlighten me please. As always, thanks.