• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Tim R

Full Index of Videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel

I am not sure if this is the best way to share this information, if it isn't can the admin please move it as appropriate. This is the full list of all videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel (as of April 2024) laid out in the same order as the original Rootes Manual and complete with links. I hope...
  2. Tim R

Diff oil

Personally I think that you should only use an EP 90 Oil, and it should be GL4. GL5 can has some attributes that can be extremely harsh on the various metals used in older applications. Tim R
  3. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Engine Rebuild The Re-mix

Thanks Dan, the hope is that these videos will live on and help people in the future who want to look after these lovely old vehicles. Tim R
  4. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Engine Rebuild The Re-mix

The Sunbeam Alpine Channel has just released a new, re-mixed video covering the total rebuild of a Rootes 1592 or 1725 engine. The last engine rebuild video was watched by more than 16,000 viewers. Since we published this video we have changed the procedures that we follow slightly and various...
  5. Tim R

Soft top from a S-4 or 5 and Installing on a Series 3 - WON'T FIT

When you took it all apart and had the top lined up with the window horizontal top and vertical rear was it possible to see how far out the hinge arm was and how much you needed to bend it forward? I don't understand why, if you straightened the bent piece, it didn't solve the problem. Think...
  6. Tim R

Soft top from a S-4 or 5 and Installing on a Series 3 - WON'T FIT

When I have had issues like this I have removed the bolt that holds the top onto the hinge. I then positioned the top so that the vertical and horizontal bars are parallel to the edges of the glass, where they need to be, then I've bent the B Post hinge to fit. To me the windscreen looks to be...
  7. Tim R

Dashboard switch installation

I purchased the proper tools but found that I could make a better tool by angle grinding down an old socket. It has the advantage that you can fit a small ratchet to it to tighten it. Tim R
  8. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Adventures in Devon (U.K.)

Yorkshire is a lovely area of England, very picturesque, I'm sure that you will find somewhere that you nd your wife will love. Tim R
  9. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Adventures in Devon (U.K.)

This video shows some of the fun we had on four day, 630 mile trip in our Alpine. Lovely Devon countryside in the spring. Tim R
  10. Tim R

Distributor and drive dog

It is a piece of mild steel plate. I drew around the pedestal then cut it with an angle grinder and drill. Then I made a paper gasket to ensure that it stays oil tight. It works very well. Anyone with better facilities than I have would have made a smarter job but it does what it needs to do...
  11. Tim R

By way of an update. I have now made a spacer that fits between the pedestal and the distributor mounting plate. This lets me use the original Series IV pedestal. It looks neater and works perfectly. It lifts the mount by about 5mm and compensates for the longer oil pump. Tim R
  12. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Making 'Special' Tools

This video shows how I make various rough and ready tools that will do the job of the 'Special' Churchill tools that were originally used by Rootes. Specifically this video shows me make an alternative to the Churchill RG225. This tool lets you tighten up the cylinder head bolts on a Rootes...
  13. Tim R

Alpine Innovations Weber Carb Conversion

We have the AI conversion on two of our Alpines. I cannot fault the set up, it is better in every way and is so much more economical that it pays for itself amazingly quickly. Tim R
  14. Tim R

Need to clutch when activating overdrive?

Personally I feel that you are showing more mechanical sympathy if you depress the clutch a fraction. It may not be strictly necessary but it makes the drive smoother. Tim R
  15. Tim R

The oil pump is different for the Series I,Ii,III compared to the Series IV. The pump is longer (presumably because of the cable rev counter drive). I recently fitted a Series II pump into a Series iV because I could not get a Series IV pump anywhere. To fit it I used an old Series II...
  16. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: The REAL story of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the U.K. National 2023

Mike, It is an amazing story isn't it. When he told it at the U.K. National he was a big hit and people were approaching him about it all weekend, asking questions and swapping their own experiences. Tim R
  17. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: The REAL story of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from the U.K. National 2023

Not a 'How to' video, this was recorded at the 2023 U.K. Sunbeam Alpine National in Aylesford where Billy Hollis told the incredible story of the REAL Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, a story that has involved him for his entire life. Over the space of an hour this story draws you in to a tale of...
  18. Tim R

Sunbeam Alpine: Changing the Gearbox and Overdrive Oil

Kevin, When we get ready to launch I'll look at the possibility of doing that. It seems to make sense and I can't see a reason for not doing that. One of the problems with YouTube is that you are not able to shuffle videos around to change the order and are held in a straight jacket with regard...
  19. Tim R

John 'The Box' Roseby is our guru on all things gearbox related. He recommends not touching the drain in the overdrive. People routinely damage the plug and you only release small additional amount of oil. Just use the main gearbox drain plug. The original gearbox videos did not have audio on...
  20. Tim R

We all have to change our gearbox oils but do you do it correctly? This video details the Rootes recommended process.