• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. V

Auction: Series I and Bugeye race cars, Mini, Triumph Herald, loads 'Brit parts

FWIW, Hummelstown Boro borders Hershey and the auction location is within 1/2 mile of Hershey zip code 17033. I purposely stated Hershey as I believe more people would know where Hershey is, but few would have ever even heard of Hummelstown. Below is a thread I posted last September with a...
  2. V

Auction: Series I and Bugeye race cars, Mini, Triumph Herald, loads 'Brit parts

This upcoming Saturday, July 27th, an auction will be held in Hershey PA to liquidate Frank Troxell's hoard of British cars and parts. Frank was the owner of Frank's Foreign Cars in Middletown and looked over his barn full of cars/parts last year. Below is a link to the listing with quite a few...
  3. V

LOST IGNITION KEY

Thanks for the plug, David. I do have a number of NOS ignition cylinders with matching NOS keys, but they don't fit well into the current reporo (junk) switches available thru Lucas. So, if you have a decent switch, this can fix you up in a jiffy. I also have several NOS Rootes 31953 ignition...
  4. V

LOST IGNITION KEY

Thank you for your kind comments, Steve and Mike. OEM ignition/door keys are nickel-plated brass and wear down over time as they glide against the pins in the cylinders. And as the key slowly wears down, the pins don't retract and score the inner aluminum walls of the ignition switch. As Steve...
  5. V

wanted early Alpine windshield

I'll get back to you later when I'm at my shop. I'm tied up until mid-afternoon.
  6. V

I used to see you at Carlisle Import, but this year's show was already held in May. The big AACA annual fall meet in Hershey is October 8-11, 2024
  7. V

The seller doesn't give good pics of the lower corners, but pic #1 makes it appear they're angled and, if so, it's Series II. I'm pretty sure I have a correct SI frame/glass on the shelf, but I no longer ship glass. Here's the overpriced eBay frame: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134543556838
  8. V

I have your frame with glass, Mike, but Pennsylvania is a hike for you. Sorry, but I stopped shipping windshields due to breakage.
  9. V

Anyone in UK willing to resolve a problem with Hard Top Spares?

Hi Dan. Below is a 2022 thread from CAT that discusses a guy from Canada who makes hardtop repair panels. The story goes that some mutt former-SAOCA member bought a set and showed them to Doug Jennings at Tiger Auto who supposedly said they "looked good". I (volvoguys) hoped to get some...
  10. V

Not much left

Wow! a lotta commentary so I'll go in order: Andrew: Plenty of color code 86 on all the outer panels and boot floor. And if the floor was a little less porous I woulda taken it off, too. Steve: I don't know what I missed, tho you didn't mention any of the body's goodies while it was in our way...
  11. V

Not much left

I just finished parting out a Series V and the pic shows all that remains. Virtually 97% of this donor was used to keep others "on the road". 20 years ago, I would just take a car down to a shell and a buddy with a junkyard would take it away. Nowadays there ain't much I don't salvage.
  12. V

Sunbeam Tiger RHD Steering Rack's New

Repeat: The thread you are responding to is from 13 years ago. "Richard" has not logged on since 26 July, 2013.
  13. V

Reverse Issue

In a later post you wrote your VIN begins B940 and you believe the drivetrain is original to the car. If this is true, then your gearbox would be a non-synchro 1st gear since Rootes didn't begin fitting all-synch boxes until chassis B941. Your reverse will be to the left and back (down). To be...
  14. V

Series I/II Hardtop rear pins

Thanks for the fast tech help, fellas. Felix, your pics are exactly what he needed to get the pins apart. Mark
  15. V

Series I/II Hardtop rear pins

I'm looking for some direction how the rear pins for the OEM SI/II hardtop are disassembled. I have a mate with a pair that has broken springs, but he can't figger how to get them apart for repair and plating. Any help?
  16. V

Labor hours for front suspension rebuild?

Agreed with all of Kragh's ((boss-tiger) comments above. Especially that a pro shop really should press out the A-arm bushing so they don't get bent since it's really easy to do. I have completely disassembled SV front ends to be sold as parts. This would eliminate your broken-bolts problem...
  17. V

Heater radiator set up- pictures if you have

Andrew, the rubber piece you mention is a "drain trough" and is available new thru SS (page 12, part CS70). It serves along with the 2 felts as a cushion to keep the heater core in place. But, more importantly, it drains condensation that sometimes builds up on the core due to temperature...
  18. V

Labor hours for front suspension rebuild?

You can't overlook the difficulty of dissembling the front end. Bolts are prone to snap off if not done patiently and correctly, to include the caliper, upper a-arm and especially the lower a-arm bolts. A shop can easily add multiple $100's in machine work to extract bolts they carelessly broke off.
  19. V

DGV carb fuel boiling after shutoff

My problem was solved by using a pholenic spacer, as Michael suggested above. It's about 1/4" thick and as I recall I got it from The Bug Hut years ago ($15ish). Mountville? Heck, you're practically a neighbor! Mark (Harrisburg)
  20. V

Alpine V8 conversion

You may already know this, but if not: The early MKI Tigers were built on a Series IV Alpine chassis. The later MKI (oftentimes referred to as MKIa) and MKII Tigers were built on a Series V Alpine chassis. Original Tiger rears will bolt directly onto a SV frame without modification. So, too...
Back