• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. alpine_64

Clutch Issues

What type of clutch did you fit .. spring or diaphragm? Is there any sound from the flywheel when you have the pedal down?
  2. alpine_64

Sputtering noise in exhaust while slipping the accelertion pedal

Depends on the seal on the flange .. also it's possible when adjusting pulling on the exhaust...the leak could also be from the manifold at the head...
  3. alpine_64

Cool Mods

The more i looked at this car the worse it got.. some very questionable panels gaps and I am now quite sure the top is installed incorrectly and that's why it wont fold.. when up they havent got the attachments at the pivot on the hood frame and the window isn't fitting into the slots...
  4. alpine_64

Cool Mods

We have the same rules in Australia.. no tyres protruding from the wheel arch... At least at the top .. negative camber seems to solve most concerns... I think it's also as much about reducing the spray of water when driving as stones.. Ever driven behind an open wheel car in the wet...( NOT...
  5. alpine_64

Sputtering noise in exhaust while slipping the accelertion pedal

Peter.. why do assume if the car is running fine... Bit the sound has returned that the exhaust gasket isn't leaking again?
  6. alpine_64

Cool Mods

Tbh .. I dont really think it's been that well executed.... I agree the flares should taper at the leading edge.. and also in the side shots the arch profile isn't very consistent or flowing. Also the seller either doesn't know how to fold the soft top .. or the owner secured it on the sides...
  7. alpine_64

Old Tire Problems

Tyres are rubber and they suffer from age, environmental exposure and light.. and the recommendation of them is often years. If your car is inactive for long periods , having the tyres off the ground to prevent flat spotting, covered to protect them from light and if you are in a dry climate...
  8. alpine_64

1965 Sunbeam Alpine for Sale $12,500

Tom, very smart looking Alpine and has some nice extras, the hardtop, factory radio console. In the photos it's a little cars to see but is there some bubbling under the paint at the sill joint at the leading edge of the right door? You say the paint may need some attention?
  9. alpine_64

Old Tire Problems

I'd be checking them VERY carefully.. and being that old.. likely the rubber is quite hard now anyway and not helping your times ... o_O
  10. alpine_64

Sparto reversing light placement

I've covered this a few times.. there are actually 2 types of bases for the Sparto twin jet lamps. The early style had a compound curve cutout and mouth them to the outside edge of the valences. This makes them hard to position and you often see them facing down. Later they made a more simple...
  11. alpine_64

maintenance schedule

The series II had a fold out service chart with all the greasing locations and intervwls. Iirc the oil change for early cars was very short.. 1000 miles. I personally change at 2000 miles or 12 months with modern oils and limited use ..but I do a mix of shorter and longer runs .. short is not...
  12. alpine_64

Need front floor pan for late series Alpine.

That sounds like when someone is embarrassed about asking a question.... "My car doesn't have rust, but a friend was wondering where they can get patch panels".. :D I was also going to say Jeff h... Otherwise randy Willett
  13. alpine_64

Sunbeam Alpine: The London Concours 2024

Tim, The article was a period road test of the Series A Harrington ( think it was autocar iirc) it had the stage III conversion and they detailed it, but also had an experimental manifold and weber setup . The screenshot you have was from Jan Igbons article he wrote for his old site It was...
  14. alpine_64

Tim As you can see in your screen shot. The stage III didn't have the Weber's ... Like I said. And while Andrews car is a very nice restoration, and yes has some details similar to HRH car.. it is a long way from the evocation of the princes car. it does share a few details the prince's car...
  15. alpine_64

Tim, With due respect, the stage III did not have the Weber's, and Jan Igbom used to clarify that often. Stage III had modified cams, distributor curve, head, flywheels etc.. and used the completion jetting for the Zeniths. The stage III weber misinformation comes from the Harrington A road...
  16. alpine_64

In still perplexed as to how you have Mr Harrington saying he'd never seen the LM badge on the rocker cover.. when most of them had it.. maybe the first few prototypes didn't . But the rest sure did Also the DCOE were not part of the stage III Hartwell spec and indeed 3000RW the Harrington...
  17. alpine_64

Rear axle not parallel with front axle

Barry in general agreement with your post...but a sunbeam when following from the rear of you can see down the side of the car at all will always look a little angles because of the perspective and inset rear wheels. You would need to be driving directly behind it What might be a good test is...
  18. alpine_64

Yup.. the Tiger as per the Alpine had the narrow rear track than front.. this was done by Rootes (in the alpine and it's saloon brethren ) to make the car have initial understeeer then final oversteer. If you go into a corner too fast the car will understeer and if you lift off the back will...
  19. alpine_64

Yup I had even put in brackets after ( from the top) ... Even in the same language there can be miscommunication.. hence why I wantee to clarify the issue... As not parallel to the front ...the front suspension could also be the issue depending on the reference points
  20. alpine_64

Peter. I'm sorry to ask.. but it might be a translation issue... And I want to clarify my understanding. When you say the axle is not parallel with the front axle, do you mean. 1. If you looked at the car in plan ( from the top) the axle should run east - west. One of the wheels is further...