• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NHRA old hot rod video

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jan,

You almost made me cry. It brought back the good old days, when ingenuity, and not money made all the difference.

That's what drag racing looked like when I started racing, back in 1958.

Jose

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jan,

How come I always hear about these meets after the fact? I would go there in a New York second, if I knew they were going to be held. I love all the old car pictures. I love especially the Willys coupe pictures. My first car was a 1941 Willys Americar coupe. I wish I still had it. I loved them so much, that I bought a 1939 Willys coupe (a little ugly) and a 1940 Willys coupe too.

Every once in a while, they hold old time meets at Famoso raceway, in Bakersfield, but they don't have as many cool cars as this meet did.

Keep em coming!

Jose

jmthehermit

Donation Time
There is also a hot rod and custom show held at the Latimore Valley Fair Grounds held in support of the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing. This year it was on May 15. Old dirt track cars and spectator cars get to run a few laps on the track, one at a time. Most people like it when it rains a day or two before the show. Nothing beats getting a picture of an old racer throwing up a muddy rooster tail. There is a supposed speed limit to keep the cars somewhat safe, but there is the stipulation that if you take out a section of the wooden fence you do have to pay for the replacement. Although you do get to put your name on the new boards. I always miss the drags because it's held during the Carlisle swap meet week. Jeff

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
That twice Hemi looks wonderful. I sure wish I could have heard it run. I'll bet it made some noise.

I was raised in So. Cal., where there were drags three days a week, every week. I never saw a twin hemi dragster before, but there was a dragster called "The Odd Couple". It had a small block Chevy out front and a Chrysler in back. It ran OK, but the best running twice motored rail I saw, was a rail called "Freight Train", which had two small block Chevies, that were fuel injected. It ran like stink and usually won it's class. It was a clean car too. I don't know if it ever made it to the east coast, but it was all over the west coast.

I usually saw it at Lions strip, in Long Beach. They usually ran on Saturday night, when the air was heavy (being right at sea level) and damp. The little rail would just scoot. I know that it held several records, but can't remember all the details. It used to be so cold, we would buy coffee, not to drink it, because it tasted like old cigarette butts, but it was the only way we could keep our hands warm. Those were the days.

Thanks for listening to an old man reminisce.

Jose

p.s. It looks like just you and were ever interested in drag racing way back then.

Hey Joe, check out the twin-engine Hemi dragster:D
jan
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518507

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I went to other related sites and found a picture of two blown flathead altered roadsters, going after it. They looked like the double AA/Fuel altered roadster monsters of way back when, only with flathead power. I had never seen a flathead altered roadster before, and here were two of them. WOW! This is great stuff!

I saw that they just got through having a meet just this past week end. I just wish I had known, because I would have made the sacrifice and not eaten for a week, just to be able to be there.

Jose