• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

valve spring question

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Only the H120 had the (dual) soft springs. I'm not sure of the specs for the rest of the Arrow Range, which I think mostly had single springs.

Well the real H120 wasnt intended to revved beyond 5000 RPM, so they didnt need a lot of spring.

Can you confirm that only the hunters had that soft single spring even though the late SV alpines used the same head casting?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, You say "get the right springs". I don't think I have ever seen a listing for valve springs for "late 1725" or "late SIV" engines. Everything we see seems to indicate the same springs were used on all SV heads. How would someone identify the springs used on the late SV? Or are you saying the factory springs were different on different style heads, but just be sure to use factory springs so as to be sure they will fit? I must say, I have searched and reviewed just about every previous post here on heads, valves, springs, isky, cams, tubed vs non-tubed heads, etc., and never saw anything that indicated a difference in geometry. I have seen many references to the use of Isky springs with no mention of early vs late 1725 head. This new info greatly surprises me.

Tom

65beam

Donation Time
valve springs

the hunter range 1725 engine with aluminum head used double valve springs on the early hunter,vogue sedan and estate and whatever the model G and H were. they then went to the single spring. my series 5 parts book shows there was a point that the original head was superceded by another number with the numbering of the hunter parts. was this the head without spark plug tubes and also the single valve springs as the hunter range had?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The Hunter Range parts book shows three different head numbers, none of them the same as the superseding Series V head number you mentioned.

None of the Hunter model valve spring numbers match Series V. Note: The Series V parts section, which includes late model changes such as backup lights, only shows one number for valve springs.

the hunter range 1725 engine with aluminum head used double valve springs on the early hunter,vogue sedan and estate and whatever the model G and H were. they then went to the single spring. my series 5 parts book shows there was a point that the original head was superceded by another number with the numbering of the hunter parts. was this the head without spark plug tubes and also the single valve springs as the hunter range had?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jan, You say "get the right springs". I don't think I have ever seen a listing for valve springs for "late 1725" or "late SIV" engines. Everything we see seems to indicate the same springs were used on all SV heads. How would someone identify the springs used on the late SV?
Tom,
I'm on the road right now, I think I have some of the short springs at home to show as an example. They have less coils, but higher spring constant.
jan

65beam

Donation Time
valve springs

rootesrooter,
my info on the hunter range comes from my parts book that shows all models sold not only in the states, but all models sold world wide. my series 5 parts book is a very late publication. probably printed at the time of the changeover to the fastback alpine. i use these books for reference only. all my spare parts such as the sets of valve springs are tagged showing what they fit. i do this at the time i buy the parts. if i have an engine or drive train problem, i just repair or replace with another unit.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'm probably looking at the same books, but just in case: Does your Series V book show more than one number for valve springs, or other 'carryover' numbers from Series V to fastback?

rootesrooter,
my info on the hunter range comes from my parts book that shows all models sold not only in the states, but all models sold world wide. my series 5 parts book is a very late publication. probably printed at the time of the changeover to the fastback alpine. i use these books for reference only. all my spare parts such as the sets of valve springs are tagged showing what they fit. i do this at the time i buy the parts. if i have an engine or drive train problem, i just repair or replace with another unit.

mbruskin

Donation Time
That is the casting number on the head. If it is from a Hillman Minx will it work on a 1725 series 5 Alpine block? It was in the trunk of my Alpine when I bought the car.

Murray

mbruskin

Donation Time
It is an aluminum head. It looks like the head that is now on my Alpine except for the oblong spark plug holes.

Murray

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I dont have the data here, but someone mentioned thats the part number for an SIII minx, which would be an iron head.
Hopefully thats not the case, but the port config and valve positions are totallt incompatible with the aluminum head 1592 or 1725 engine internals.