• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Substituting Electric Fan for Engine Mounted Fan

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is a solution that works in terms of achieving your end goal--keeping that Sunbeam cool. A Derale Pusher Fan 11.75" pushes through over 2200cfms, fits perfect and does the trick. I have one on my Tiger along with the 6 blade fan, no issues in hot Nevada or Napa Valley in the middle of the summer.

Bill

Bill - is this the fan you are using? Summit Racing Part Number DER-16925
Electric Fan, Single, 11.75 in. Diameter, Pusher, 2,210 cfm, Black, Plastic

"Universal Yes
Flow Direction (Application) Pusher

Is this the fan you are using? I hope so. If it is I may purchase one as it may help solve an issue that I have with my 302 V8 Alpine. Thanks.

ducsingle

Donation Time
Thanks for posting that part number. Hopefully it's the right one. A lot of the articles say to use a fan with that diameter, but other than your post, I haven't found a reference to a particular vendor and part number.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have had a pusher for 20 years on mine and no problem, I also use a puller fan on the water pump side. One thing you may check is the amount of antifreeze mix you need less than the 50/50 that most cars use, I run 40 to 45% to water ratio. I also am useing alum. rad. in my car as well. Good luck:cool:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
One thing you may check is the amount of antifreeze mix you need less than the 50/50 that most cars use, I run 40 to 45% to water ratio.

Why? And how did you determine this? Just curious.

Given the corrosion issues in the Alpine motors I'd be concerned about going with a lesser amount.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Why? And how did you determine this? Just curious.

Given the corrosion issues in the Alpine motors I'd be concerned about going with a lesser amount.

Basically, with higher concentration you are trading higher boiling point against better thermal conductivity of pure water.

If you tend to run over 200, best to go at or closer to the 50/50 ratio.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Not that there is anything wrong with a pusher, if you use a pusher, be sure to get one that isnt shrouded.

Shrouding on a puller is a very good thing, but on a pusher it deflects air around the shroud and hurts radiator airflow.