• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wing Tanks + Fuel Cell Plumbing

ducsingle

Donation Time
I'm considering installing a fuel cell in my V8 Alpine, so this afternoon I removed all of the fiberboard panels in the trunk to see how the stock setup is configured.

I would like to retain the stock wing tanks and mount the fuel cell between the frame rails. If anybody has done this, how did you connect the fuel lines?

I'm thinking I could run a fuel line off the bottom of the fuel cell through the trunk floor, and just tap into the stock fuel line where it runs on the outside of the car under the trunk.

64beam

Donation Time
I'm considering installing a fuel cell in my V8 Alpine, so this afternoon I removed all of the fiberboard panels in the trunk to see how the stock setup is configured.

I would like to retain the stock wing tanks and mount the fuel cell between the frame rails. If anybody has done this, how did you connect the fuel lines?

I'm thinking I could run a fuel line off the bottom of the fuel cell through the trunk floor, and just tap into the stock fuel line where it runs on the outside of the car under the trunk.

Hi,

If you were going to mount a third tank and retain the stock tanks, I would increase the fuel line to your third tank from the balance pipe to a 1/2" line as a minimum (or even twin 1/2" lines). What you are effectively doing is installing a large surge tank. If you are still thinking of going for the ez-efi in the future, you could also install a return line while your at it. You could also get tricky and install a low pressure pump to fill your new tank (would also need a return line though).

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Fuel tank balance pipe

Hi,

This thread is probably the closest to my question without starting a new posting. I am looking at the ez-efi conversion as Bill had done. Rather than bastardize my balance tube to fit the return line, I am considering getting a new one made up. Would there be any reason why the balance pipe couldn't be made from aluminium? Is there any particular grade of aluminium used for fuel systems? Does anyone know the wall thickness of the standard Alpine/Tiger balance pipe?

Thanks, Robin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've always thought that it would be pretty cool to create a fuel cell in the shape of the spare tire, and to mount it in the same manner, via a central lug. It could even be painted to look like a spare tire to preserve somewhat the original look of the boot. And the applicability for such a tank would be not only to the Sunbeam, but potentially to loads of older cars. It could be used as an 'extended' fuel tank for those folks that want to have a third tank for long trips.

Forgive the ramblings of a foolish old man - just a wild idea. (I know, legal liability would get in the way of actually making and selling such a device. TOTBAL.)

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Puff, actually you could do this. If you can make a container for the cell, most of the fuel cell mfg will fit thier product into your tank. That way, originality is preserved and safety enhanced. I thought of "celling" the saddle tanks but quickly (for me) realized that the balance tube would defeat the purpose. I like your idea a lot as the location is the best and the tire could be moved. Bet Rick in Arizona (Skywords?) could fabricate it in a minute given the photos of the other stuff he turns out.

65beam

Donation Time
tanks

robin,
just buy another center section, modify it and save the original. you could pop out one of the plugs in the trunk floor and run the return line thru and hook to the center section or drill a hole and come up under the pipe.

64beam

Donation Time
robin,
just buy another center section, modify it and save the original. you could pop out one of the plugs in the trunk floor and run the return line thru and hook to the center section or drill a hole and come up under the pipe.

Hi 65beam,

That is why I wanted to make up a new one. I didn't know that the balance pipe's were still available, but I want to increase the outlet size to 3/8". Also if I use aluminium, there is no need to re-seal the pipe after modifying it. I want to try and keep the holes to a minimum, so your idea is an option.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Does anyone have their fuel balance pipe removed from their car? I am looking for a few dimensions (outside diameter, inside diameter & length) from one. If someone could help, it would be much appreciated (and saves me from having to remove mine at the moment).

Thank you, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
wing tanks

robin,
i had two sets of cross tubes dipped and we do not coat the inside of them. they always have gas in them so there is no reason to coat them. i have one set in the shop so i'll measure the center one this evening. keep in mind that it's not a straight pipe. it has a bend that follows the contour of the rear valance.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Forgive me if this sounds dense, but why would you go to the trouble of installing a fuel cell but continue to use the saddle tanks? Is this strictly for extended range? If it's for safety, you're leaving in place the weakest links in the chain.

65beam

Donation Time
wing tanks

if he's looking for a longer range without topping the tanks why not do what tiger tom did to his tiger. he installed a tank from a series 2. he stood it on it's side and across the spare tire well and tied it into his fuel line. modified the fill tube to take a gas cap. gave him an extra 10 gallons. it fits great .

ducsingle

Donation Time
Forgive me if this sounds dense, but why would you go to the trouble of installing a fuel cell but continue to use the saddle tanks? Is this strictly for extended range? If it's for safety, you're leaving in place the weakest links in the chain.

Extended range is the goal.

ducsingle

Donation Time
If he's looking for a longer range without topping the tanks why not do what tiger tom did to his tiger? He installed a tank from a series 2. He stood it on it's side and across the spare tire well and tied it into his fuel line. Modified the fill tube to take a gas cap. Gave him an extra 10 gallons. It fits great.
Correct punctuation added. :)

This is essentially the same thing as installing a fuel cell tied into the saddle tanks.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Correct punctuation added. :)

This is essentially the same thing as installing a fuel cell tied into the saddle tanks.

On my 62 I took the tank from a 69/70 alpine.I then laid it flat and fitted it to where the original was.it is a 16 gallon tank If I remember right.Never let it go down too much so never filled it from empty once it was installed.It hangs lower so I made a shield out of 1/8th of an inch steel.
Loved the cuising range especially when it was still a V6

64beam

Donation Time
robin,
i had two sets of cross tubes dipped and we do not coat the inside of them. they always have gas in them so there is no reason to coat them. i have one set in the shop so i'll measure the center one this evening. keep in mind that it's not a straight pipe. it has a bend that follows the contour of the rear valance.

Thanks for the reply. I wondered if it had a contour to it. Is there much of a radius? I appreciate your help.

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
wing tanks

robin,
the center section that the fuel line hooks to is 28 inches long and is 1.75 inch in diameter. i try to post a photo.