• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Tiger for sale - Phoenix AZ

64beam

Donation Time
Looks nice in the pictures and has had a lot of gaps and joints filled, not to mention a few custom mods. Not sure how period correct a 289 five bolt is in a 65 model though. Overall still is a nice car though.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
My notes indicate that the 5 bolt 289 (not the HiPo) was made for 2 years only-- 1963 & 1964 and that the 5 bolt 260 dates to 1962, but I am unclear when the 5 bolt 260 was last made, perhaps 1966.

64beam

Donation Time
My notes indicate that the 5 bolt 289 (not the HiPo) was made for 2 years only-- 1963 & 1964 and that the 5 bolt 260 dates to 1962, but I am unclear when the 5 bolt 260 was last made, perhaps 1966.

Hi Allan,

From what I have read, the 260's were produced between 62 and 64.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

I will dig up some info i have about the 260's, specifically those used in the Tiger. You have to remember that the Tigers were using the 260's until 1966, So i dare say they were producing the 260's at least until later 1965 possibly early 1966.

Tiger 260 engines

All 260 engines were cast and assembled by the Cleveland Plant.

The C5OE-9425D intake manifold is the 1965 casting with 260 intake manifold
specifications.

This intake manifold was only used for the Tiger 260 engines; Ford was
ramping up their production of 289 engines at this time.

The B19KC engine group was split into 2 builds; one in early 1965 and one in
Oct 1965.

Tiger 289 engines

Ford engine ID tag for an A22KK engine: 289 C 66 10
That reads 289 engine Cleveland 1966 change level #10

The Cleveland 289 engine block casting # is C5AE-6015E

Info from Ron Fraser

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
From what I've been able to find, all Ford Windsor small blocks (221, 260, 289, 302, 351) were built at the Cleveland plant until 1966.

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
Salvage Title?

Hi,

on the description, it says the car has a salvage title - what exactly does that mean and how does it effect the registration of the car ?

just curious

Jeff

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Jeff, if a car is deemed too expensive to repair by an insurance company the claim is paid to the policy holder and the car and title is now the property of the insurance company. The insurance company then will ship it to a regional junk yard who has a contract to dispose of it. In some cases the car can be bought back by the original owner/policy holder, to be repaired by whomever he chooses. If the owner wants a title for the vehicle he must go through the insurance company and the states Department of Motor Vehicles for it. Since the vehicle was junked by the insurance company who by the way, has control of the title since it paid the claim, a title can be issued but it will have the words "salvage" vehicle on it. You will never be legally able to remove those words from the title either. You can go to an insurance drop lot and by parts off the cars, but you cannot buy the entire car and rebuild it. Every one of the cars has a posted sheet from the insurance company that states it is a total loss and cannot be sold. The insurance company has effectively killed the VIN and entered it into a national data base as destroyed.

My neighbor had a claim with her insurance company. The rear bumper facia was damaged in an accident but no other damage to the car. Her car was garage kept and like new in appearance and condition, but it was about 11 years old. The amount of the estimate to replace and repair was above the companies limit so they paid the claim. Luckily she bought it back, paid out of her pocket for a new bumper facia and had her old car back, but with a salvaged title.

So, the car might have had serious body damage at one point, but to what extent? It's curious that a VIN tag isn't shown either. Something to think about. Jeff

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I'll try to research and get back with what I find. Saw this car earlier this year at "Wheels of Britain". If anyone is interested I'd be glad to try to schedule a time to check it out with the advertizer. I've met him a few times but have no involvement or interest in the car

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Tom, rebuilt salvage or just salvage doesn't matter. Salvage is still on the title. Either way I think Jeff Howarth has an answer to his question. Jeff

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff, yes the word "salvage" is always on the title, that's to protect the consumer so he knows it was once totalled. I don't see that as a problem. The knowledgeable buyer can get a nicely rebuilt salvaged car. Even the seller of the car here clearly states it has a "salvage" title.

But your statement says "you cannot buy the entire car and rebuild it" and "it is a total loss and cannot be sold. " and "The insurance company has effectively killed the VIN and entered it into a national data base as destroyed." These are much more foreboding and restricting statements that would make buying or owning such a vehicle a very bad move. Or do I misunderstand something in your statemnt

I think my statement informs Jeff Howarth, and other users of this site, a much clearer concept of what is implied by "Salvage" title. Clearly there is a huge difference between Salvage and Rebuilt Salvage, at least in Ohio - you cannot drive a Salvage vehicle but you can drive a Rebuilt Salvage car. I think Jeff already understood that the word Salvage was on the title.

Tom

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Tom, two different states and two different sets of laws. The same for insurance companies. Pennsylvania has both classes of titles also, but a rebuilt salvage title ONLY applies to cars that were either THEFT RECOVERY or FLOOD DAMAGED. Evidently Ohio allows any car totaled by an insurance company to be bought, pulled, rebuilt and then retitled with proper documentation. A PA rebuilt titled vehicle is subject to an inspection for repairs and being road worthy just like in Ohio. A PA salvage title means the car is not to be driven but can be registered and bought, traded, or sold. Strange but true according to the website. The insurance company drop yard (Denaples in Dunmore Pa) is contracted to destroy the tagged chassis and body skeleton of all vehicles said insurance company has sent them, but allows for parts to be taken off them and sold.

So if anyone is planning on buying a car with "salvaged" on the title from another state, check with YOUR state DMV and find out before hand what hoops you might have to jump through before you can get it titled in your state. Jeff

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Also, different insurance companies have different rules regarding the level of insurabiliy of a salvage car. This pertains more to a car being "physically" totaled, vs. "economically" totaled. It's my guess that, the closer you get to collector car insurance, and actual physical inspection of the car and condition-based valuation, the less stigma there is to a salvage title.
Here's where your restoration documentation and pictures come in handy.

Ken

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Below is the answer I got from the Arizona MVD about the Salvage Title. I deleted the gentleman's name but if you PM me I'll send you the complete for your files.
Hope this helps.
Here's the reply:

Please see the response from Scott below and let us know if you need additional assistance. Thank you. drp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:05 PM
To: MVDINFO@azdot.gov
Subject: RE: * Salvage title question

It may have already received a restored salvage title. We can issue a restored salvage title for a vehicle as long as a state has not declared the vehicle “non-repairable.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:40 PM
To: Scott B******
Subject: FW:* Salvage title question

Scott, are there any reasons why we would not issue a restored salvage title for a salvage-titled vehicle? Thank you. drp

Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2010 7:55 PM
To: MVDINFO@azdot.gov
Subject: Salvage title question

There is a car listed on Craigslist that several members of my national club have expressed interest in. It's listed as a "salvage title". Once it's been rebuilt, can it be reregistered as "Rebuilt Salvage"?

289tiger

Donation Time
I'll try to research and get back with what I find. Saw this car earlier this year at "Wheels of Britain". If anyone is interested I'd be glad to try to schedule a time to check it out with the advertizer. I've met him a few times but have no involvement or interest in the car

Nick - more than welcome to come check it out. Would be good to see you again.

If anyone has questions, feel free to get in touch. On the salvage status....there may be various flavors of salvage titles - I have never investigated. Always felt that the car is what it is and I would never represent it as anything misleading (ie - those title services where you can scrub the title and misrepresent it as clean). From what I have been told the car sat for many many years at a body shop lot in the northwest way before the cars had appreciated in value. At some point they repaired the sheet metal and sold the car which at that point titled as salvage. When I transferred it from Nevada to AZ it was a simple transfer and retained the same title status.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
There you go. If anyone has questions, let me know what they are and I'll go over and check it out and get back to you. Car looked and sounded great back when I saw it last.