• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fun with Wheel Cylinders - Hillman Minx IIIC

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Apparently the Hillman Minx IIIC has some unique front wheel cylinders which can be fairly pricey... about a 90.00/each (x4!). Resleaving is about the same - about $80 or so.

So, I pulled my wheel cylinders and found them to be extreamly frozen and began soaking, then hitting it with air preasure, heating and on and on without much success hoping to get them apart for rebuilding.

One of the Hillman listers suggested using the grease gun. Not ever having used the grease gun to pop wheel cylinders - on Alpines as we typically can pitch the really bad wheel cylinders in the "used box" and replace it fairly cheaply - so off to work I went.

So, I hooked up the grease gun via some brass pipe fittings and it worked beautifully. It was a little messy.

What caught my attention was the Hillman lister mentioned he had tried this on an Engine that was frozen. Adapting a spark plug to feed grease into the cylinder. I'd hate to clean up the mess but I bet it DOES WORK!

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
No, it wasn't as bad as you'd think. I believe it was due the grease not compressing.... so, once the piston broke free it moved to an extent but not that far

Also, I am simply using a hand grease gun not a pneumatic - the grease really does the work for you. Just slowly pump the handle.... and yes there will be a good bit of resistance at the last few pumps.

Also, it may have been the pistons were really hung up... I had to pump grease into the cylinder until it almost had the piston all the way out before I could get it free by hand.

Steve

Bratfink

Donation Time
I would suggest buying the cheap grease for this method, no point wasting the good stuff for freeing up pistons.