• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Group buy on V6 emblem?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
emblem

I agree that Alpine V6 is redundant. I would propose Rootes V6 at least be added as an option for polling purposes.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just spoke with Brady at Vacuum Metal Coatings in Santa Ana CA, the company that Rich suggested might be able to reproduce the "chrome" look of the letters/numbers on the Rootes badges. As their name implies, they can only powder coat metal parts since they electrify the part in the process of coating. The badges are made of polycarbonate and therefore this process will not work for our badges.

Rick

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, what about all those places that vacuum mettalise plastics as found on all the 60's American cars? I know when I had my 65 Chevelle Malibu there was a guy who used to re-chrome the plastic dashboards for them - mine was in pretty good nick, so I never chased up, but surely there's lots of guys out there dong that work?

On edit:

OK, so I looked back at an old Hemmings Motor News, where I had remembered seeing it, and here's the advert...

American Plastic Chrome
8812 Hannan Rd
Wayne, MI 48184-1557
United States
313-721-1967 days
313-261-4454 eves

Specializing in replating plastic interior parts for most cars from late 50s to early 70s using the original vacuum metalizing process. This multi-step process will restore your plastic parts to their original shine and brilliance. Replating instrument gauge cluster bezels, armrest bases, domelight bezels, etc, for most cars from late 50s to early 70s.

---> HOWEVER.... the guy is now out of business. *SIGH* One more old guy retiring out of the business... and the vital skills going with him. But his old website is still visible in the 'wayback machine' - click here - and true to my memory, the image he has on his website is of a 1964 Chevelle dash.

Having said that, here are a couple of other places that may do the job for you...

http://www.chrometechusa.com/

ChromeTechUSA seem to be the best bet for your job - they appear to do a lot of small parts and small job lots.... he even advertises this service on eBay... CLICK HERE

Other possible sources:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
How about "Powered By Ford" in the top section, then "V6" in the main body...?

chris

Donation Time
I’m on the fence about ordering. If I could see a photo of prototype it would help me make my decision. I hope by the time one is available it’s not to late.

gordonra

Donation Time
I just spoke with Brady at Vacuum Metal Coatings in Santa Ana CA, the company that Rich suggested might be able to reproduce the "chrome" look of the letters/numbers on the Rootes badges. As their name implies, they can only powder coat metal parts since they electrify the part in the process of coating. The badges are made of polycarbonate and therefore this process will not work for our badges.

Rick

I hear what you are saying, but something doesn't sound right with that... They even show motorcycle helmets and body/fender panels on the web site.

Standard powder coat requires a static charge to keep the powder "stuck" to the base material, but I was told that the application of the "metal" coating is a different process that requires a vacuum chamber.

I'll try to give them a call today to figure out where my misunderstanding came from.

Rich

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree that Alpine V6 is redundant. I would propose Rootes V6 at least be added as an option for polling purposes.

I would suggest, FoMoCo 2800, in keeping w/ the Rootes 1725 style.

How about "Powered By Ford" in the top section, then "V6" in the main body...?

OK, I think we are nearly ready for the official poll. I haven't seen much support for putting "Alpine" on the top of the badge, so I will drop that (with the exception of "Alpine DS") unless anyone chimes in and really wants it there. The 2800 idea is an interesting one, but I don't know if it will fit. Still, I will add it in, along with just "Ford 2800". We could also go with the second choice if that won and wasn't possible. Personally, I like the "Powered By Ford" idea, but can't imagine we would ever fit that into the tiny area above the number. Rich: please weigh in on the fit issues, if you can.

At the moment, here is what we have:

• Series 6
  • Series VI
  • Series V6
  • Ford 2.8
  • Ford V6
  • Ford 2800
  • FoMoCo 2800
  • Rootes V6
  • Alpine DS

Any others? Last call.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
What about "Sunbeam V6", in keeping with the factory custom, as with the Sunbeam Tigers?

531105942_25823d5bf5.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Why did it take so long for the obvious choice to surface?

Bill

Because I am an Alpine guy and not familiar with Tiger badges?

That definitely goes on the list. I didn't think Sunbeam could fit in the space, but obviously I was wrong. What were the other Tiger variants?

Ed109

Donation Time
Had the same quandary and started these type designs a few years ago - was eventually going to have it resin cast with a model maker through work.

BADGEDEV.jpg

These roughs aren't finished and font not exactly matched yet so don't judge it too harshly but you get the idea (scan of a tatty original top left). In the end I couldn't make my mind up on wording so left it be - plenty to be done before I worry about a badge!

If we do eventually go to vote I can offer up a pro typographer and fellow classic nut to provide some artwork and another pal who's a 3-D artist to render up the winner on a car before committing to manufacture.

(And IMHO the kerning of 'Sunbeam' on that Tiger V8 one posted by Puff looks way too tight even though it's original..!)

alpine_64

Donation Time
i did some a while back

ROOTES 171

SUNBEAM 171