• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

fitting a T5

miket

Donation Time
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm using the GM 3.4 with a T5 tranmission.
The stock bellhousing turns the transmission 17 degrees of perpendicular, but there are marking for a a straight up setup, and it only too a few minutes to drill and tap the holes.

So with all this done I tried fitting the engine and transmission last night.

Close, but no cigar.

The shifter box runs out of room.

Looks like I'll have to widen the tunnel, to the rear of the shifter opening.

Has any one done this for a T5? Any words of wisdom?

I've already gone way beyond anything I've done before, so my confidence is a little weak.

Thanks, Mike

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike,
On the 2.8 V6 setup with the T5 I had to widen the trans tunnel on the left side by about 1-1/2 to 2". I just cut along the seam in that area,then followed that line a distance away to get rid of the 1-1/2 to 2" of material, I believe for about 16 to 18 inches, then pounded the tunnel over. Also, I ditched the ashtray and where the stock shifter hole piece was I cut back a few inches. I kept the profile in that area so that I could reuse the shifter hole piece (I have no idea what that piece is actually called but you'll know it when you see it. I'm not sure how far forward / backward the 3.4 is in comparison to the 2.8 so you're sailing in uncharted territory. Anyhoo...you have the bellhousing and T5 so you'll most likely end up doing some variation of the above.
Good Luck!
Bryan

miket

Donation Time
Bryan,

Thanks, for sure the ashtray is a gonner. The 2.8 and 3.4 use the same block so the diminsions will be the same.

How far back is your shifter. From what I see so far, I'll end up with the shifter over the ashtray location. A bit far back.

Did you try the earlier T5 with the forward shifter, to the front of the tail housing. It appears it may be too far forward.

Mike

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

You will need to cut the rear of the transmission tunnel back about 3". Don't cut bact as far as the stiffenoing member that runs across the the floor, just under the front of the seats. The little cover that Bryan mentioned, is the one where the stock shifter comes out. This little hydroformed piece can be screwed back on to the new sheetmetal you will have to add to reach back to where the new shifter now sits.

Jose :)

miket

Donation Time
Jose,

my plan ,for the moment, is to cut the end of the tunnel just ahead of the stiffener as you said, then also about 2 inches ahead of the shifter cover(top to bottom) opening.

I'll also widen the tunnel as suggested by Bryan.

Once the transmission is in, I shorten the tunnel end at the back as required, the wels in a piece on each side of the tunnel to fill in the gaps, then add an extension to shifter cover so that is is the appropriate length.

Hope you get my drift.

Mike

miket

Donation Time
Jose,
Looks like I cut the tunnel at just the right place, the stiffner wasn't touched.

Bryan, you tecnique worked perfectly. But I think I'll do it a bit differently and bend the excess up against the tunnel.

But it's in. Actually a very simple process.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
Cool Mike. I'm glad it worked out for you. I think that's what I did actually. I had a friend who used to weld for a living help me out. Triple check everything before you weld her up though. It was so much easier for me to hold the cool Jose engine mounts that go on the crossmember by the nut that was on the backside. After fully welding them into place we stood there, beer in hand, to admire what a great job we did. Then, for some strange reason, my brain began to think. It realized that we had welded the mounts in upside down. It took a few more beers for me to stop the 'think' function that always ruins celebrations but I was able to smile about it and pretend that all was well. Of course I had to cut them out the next day and turn them over :).
Have fun,
Bryan
:)

miket

Donation Time
Bryan

I'm having a blast. I'm no welder either, but my son has a friend who is, so when I'm ready, he'll come over with his TIG.

I guess I'll have to fabricate a crossmember like the one used in the Tiger. It fits in the V of the frame.

I would love to be able to order a crossmember, but it sounds like Jose has his hands full for the next little while.

Looks like I better do some work on the floors too.

Here's a link I found where someone did exactly as you discribed. http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RobWiseman.htm
I took a different approach with the shifter opening. I cut it to the floor so I can shorten the piece and move it back.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

socorob

Donation Time
this question is directed to Jose,since he knows this car,but anyone whose modified the tunnel for a t5 may be able to answer. Does this appear to be the correct shaped tunnel mod to fit a t5?

Attachments

• transtunnel.jpg
    transtunnel.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 68
  • transtunnel2.jpg
    transtunnel2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 70

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
this question is directed to Jose,since he knows this car,but anyone whose modified the tunnel for a t5 may be able to answer. Does this appear to be the correct shaped tunnel mod to fit a t5?

socorob,

It would make more sense to start a fresh thread instead of resurrecting a two year old thread about installing a GM T-5 behind a GM 3.4 V6.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Robbie,

These pictures look similar to what I do, except that I would have extended the tunnel a little farther back, so you wouldn´t need to cut into the shifter hole.

Jose

socorob

Donation Time
Thanks Jose. This was Tims car, so I know you've seen it in person, it's just been a long time. Just seeing if you remembered if it was set up for a t5 or not. Found a good deal on a t5 at a u pull it, so I'm getting ready to do the swap.

sunbeam39

Donation Time
pictures

Anyone have some pictures of this process? Sounds simple but I do better with a diagram or pictures than words and yes still look at comic books!!:p Looked at the ones posted here but looking for before - during and after? Would we need to do this mod if we are going to run a slimmer radiator and electric fan(s) would bring engine forward a bit? Would require modifying the engine mounts but have to do that anyway?