• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fat Mat sound deadener

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There was a thread about this stuff a while back, I can't find it. Has anyone used it? If so, could you give me the low down as to quantity to order and which product seems to work best in our noisy little cars?

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
I did the passenger side of my car, then decided to stop until I swap in my t5 and do a rewire. I think I used the fatmat, whichever was the cheaper on eBay between fatmat and dynamat. I don't know if it quieted it up any as I think it would be an all or none situation. It does help slightly with heat. My c4 that's in the car now cooks the tunnel. If I touch the drivers side it will almost burn my hand if I'm sitting in traffic in the summer. If I touch the passenger side I can hold my hand on there for a few seconds, so I say maybe 5-10 degree difference to the touch . This is only a guestimate but it's still hot either way. When I get the t5 in which I hope is soon since it's going to the trans shop to be checked this week then parts machined next week, I'll put 2 layers on the tunnel. I guess every bit helps.

Doobs

Donation Time
I used the Fat mat on my old S-10 when I swapped in the 454, I wrapped floor, cab, firewall, roof, and doors, in kept ALL the engine and exhaust sound out and ALL the sound from the 8000 watt stereo in and helped keeping the interior from rattling apart!!!!
as long as you have no gaps it works awesome..it is recommended you over lap any seams at least an inch. It was easy to install and worked awesome, I would highly recommend it..although i never had the chance to use dynamat yet !!
as for amount to use..for an extended cab 1990 S-10 doing a full interior wrap I used 6 rolls..I think the rolls were 18 inches wide by 10 ft long

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

A Mustang restorer that I knew a few years back would spray the floors with undercoating to cut down on heat and noise. It also help waterproof the floors.

socorob

Donation Time
My friend rhino lined the whole floor of an early bronco he had and that cut tons of road noise out.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Bill,
Its true! As part of the original thread I can attest this seems to work great on my SV. Although I have actually never driven the car before I installed the stuff. I have not even installed it on the floor pan yet because it still has the original undisturbed tar paper stuff in tact. I love the sound of the door closure and sound isolation from the engine compartment. There are pics of my install on my Webshots page as posted previously. If you cant find the link I'd be glad to send it you.

Jim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There was a thread about this stuff a while back, I can't find it. Has anyone used it? If so, could you give me the low down as to quantity to order and which product seems to work best in our noisy little cars?

Bill

I put this on my SV in the spring prior to installing new carpets. After doing a bit of research here and on the web in general I went with the the thicker Fatmax Rattle Trap product. I bought 25 sq ft of it, which turned out to be almost, but not quite, enough for everything but the doors. I ended up having to puzzle fit some scrap pieces to get the whole floor covered. I would probably have just made it if I hadn't wasted any, but especially in the beginning I messed up a few times and trashed a couple of medium sized pieces. I plan on using it on my other cars, especially the V6, when I get to that point, but will buy extra and assume that I will screw up again, even with experience.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. I just ordered the 50 sq ft kit of Fat Mat. I intend to give the trunk the same treatment as the cabin as I think a lot of noise originates there, especially when the top is up.

Bill