• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

small Dark Side showing

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I see a Chevy Rod engine in your future. Custom pistons. Maybe blown out to 2 liters. Vizard head. Totally stock from the outside. Lots more fun inside.

Jim, that's tempting, however I was actually thinking about a Ford Zetec with a modified Type 9 5-speed, all without modifying any sheet metal or steering, shifter in the stock location. It would look bone stock until you popped the hood. Not a real fire breather but 150 up to 200 hp should be reasonable.

Considering how long it takes me to do stuff this is probably a total pipe dream. Plus I don't want to take our Alpine off the road for an extended period of time. Maybe pull the stock engine, work on the swap for awhile, put the stocker back in, drive awhile, rinse and repeat... I know, go ahead call me an idiot, I'm used to it.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I don't have exact numbers, because some of my records are lost, but we had over fifty a couple of years ago, and we have made more than thirty more since. Now that includes the twenty kits fabed this time, but not all of them have been delivered yet. With the interest shown by just guys on this board, I would guess that we could sell another ten kits, above the twenty we just made. I would guees about eighty kits have been sold since we began.

I am pleased by all the interest in convewrting the Alpine. What is really cool, is that some guys want the most powerful engine they can get, while others just want a good running, gas sipping model. With either style or anywhere in between, the owner will enjoy great handling and reliability beyond what they would ever hope to get with a stock arrangement.

No one should feel threatened by another guys preferences, because none of the different types will disappear. What I can say, is that there will be more and more Alpines on the road, and that is a GOOD thing.

Jose :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I know, go ahead call me an idiot, I'm used to it.
We're all idiots. That is what binds us to this forum. Our idiocy just manifests itself in different ways. It starts by choosing to drive (or make drivable) a 40+ year old car. Then for some it is seen by spending twice what the car is worth to restore it to better than factory condition. For others it is devoting hours and hours and thousands of dollars to modify a car that won't be as fast or as safe as a used (insert just about any pocket rocket here). And some by doing both of the above and more.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
"Considering how long it takes me to do stuff this is probably a total pipe dream. Plus I don't want to take our Alpine off the road for an extended period of time. Maybe pull the stock engine, work on the swap for awhile, put the stocker back in, drive awhile, rinse and repeat... I know, go ahead call me an idiot, I'm used to it"

Todd Build another Alpine engine drive to the Sunni and we can do a swop.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, buy a rusty heap to work out the swap details. That's what I'm going to use for the Duratec. The problem with the Zetec ( and most any EFI engine) will be manifolds. The stock items are to wide. Any ideas on how you will address that problem?

Bill

Mark T

Donation Time
I have yet to talk to Mark about his V6, is Sunny up and running with more power? We didn't drive home together so I hope all is well. I hope things are good as it would be good to see his 6V at the British Day in Bronte Sept 21.
Do any of you guys go to that?
Check out: http://www.britishcarday.com
It would be cool to Invade that show.

Thanks again for the laugh.
Andrew

Hi Andrew! Sunny made it home fine. She actually got 23 mpg (US) averaging 65 mph from Tipp City to Detroit. Of course once I got back into Canada and started running 75 mph it dropped to just over 20 mpg. She still isn't running like I would like her to and acceleration is an issue, but I haven't had any time to play with her. We just sold our cottage :) (still no offers on the house :() so I've been really busy. I'd like to go to the show on the 21st but don't know if I can get away.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Todd, buy a rusty heap to work out the swap details. That's what I'm going to use for the Duratec. The problem with the Zetec ( and most any EFI engine) will be manifolds. The stock items are to wide. Any ideas on how you will address that problem?

Bill

Bill, actually I think using a rusty heap is a really good idea. I just don't have the room.:(

I'm so far from worrying about ancillaries yet, but I think the exhaust may not be too bad, the stock manifold is small and exits in a single pipe or there are turbo manifolds that wind up then down, I think either one would be in a similar position to your Pinto (except on the other side). The stock intake probably won't fit, thinking maybe individual motorcycle throttle bodies? But like I said that is a looong way off.

Always open to suggestions or advice though, someday I may even follow them.:rolleyes:

Dennis, look what you started! Still wondering if people use the term "Dark Side" for V6's only? Or what level of mods proves you've been seduced?

bashby

Donation Time
Another engine to consider

I know that a Nissan CA18DET fits (175-240HP) JDM Motor still available. Fits in only part that changes is the exhaust manifold if you are LHD. Shifter comes out where the ash tray is/was.