• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Day 1

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, dmich2 here. George Coleman and I arrived in Tippy City about 5 minutes after 4 this afternoon. 12 hours for me from Wilmington, almost to the minute and 662 miles. Great cruising in the morning mist. Nice and cool. Then after I met up with George we did great until we hit WVA, and then rain...:( Not too bad, if your wipers work correctly...grrrrrr. But only lasted about 45 minutes then it was just overcast. Hit Ohio, and about an hour from Dayton the sun came out and it was hot but a wonderful drive.

The Canada crew was already here. Andrew has new roll bar(s) and Mark has 'Sunny', his '64 V6. Chris and Lissa checked in but no 'Pine...:( cooked clutch. Jack Bacon and Paul got in, 900+ miles. Headed for Ian's. Brad and Dave did a great job on the fried turkey. Cold beer. :) Scott (prez) met everyone with bags of goodies. Ian did a great job getting the place ready for us. Bill came with the 'bronze bomber', although he tried to torch it. Make a note; whenever you're adjusting the carb and a fuel line is disconnected.......HOOK IT BACK UP BEFORE STARTING !!!!!!! Can you say, extinguisher. Nice wrinkled paint job. I met Doug Jennings for the first time. Steve Kirk, Mr. 1000+ miles, was twisting another beer top, I stopped counting at 6. Mike Phillips was helping everyone with all their, trip issues. I left around 8 PM and Andrew was cussing a generator bolt, but had loads of helpers. All in all, there's probably around 15 Sunbeams here. There were other members, but I had a few cold ones too, I'm tired, bad with names and a full day scheduled for tomorrow. I'll try to let you know about it tomorrow night. I hope I can get Andrew to post some pixs. Looking forward to lots of shop talk. I need some help with Sweet Pea anyway. And there's a lot of parts to gander at.

Til tomorrow.

Dennis

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I hope everyone has a great time! It is killing me not to be there (first one I have missed since I discovered the club :(), but I'll be happier knowing that everyone is having a great time! So, please keep the regular posts going; I'm going to have to settle for enjoying this Invasion vicariously.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dennis & George,
I left around 3:00. Sorry I missed meeting you. I hope to meet you on Friday night.
Jan

dmich2

Donation Time
Sorry you couldn't make it Jim. We miss you. Jan, I'll see you today probably. P.S.....bring a test light.

Forgot a little tidbit from yesterday. As George and I were talking at one of our stops yesterday, we both commented on how well our Alpines were running that morning. I remarked, it was probably due to the dreay, misty, cool weather....much like what the 'Pines experienced in Britian. :D Guess they felt like they were home again an had been let off the leash !!!!!!

Boy, I slept like a log. Heading over to Invasion Central. Tools, cooler and checkbook in hand. Will get names and stories for later. I missed out on the tour at the aircraft museum, so someone else will have to post that adventure.

Dennis

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have a great time, guys. Like Jim Stone, I wish I could be there, and I'd love to meet all of you. Unfortunately, my 'beam engine is in bits on the garage floor just now in the midst of a total rebuild, and like was so elegantly said earlier I'd feel like an observer at a brothel! Hey, but I'm with my wife and two sons at the beach in Currituck, NC, and we're headed out sailing today, so life is all good.

And Dennis, as to cars running better in the mist, it's true... the water in the air makes the fuel burn a wee bit slower - as if you had ultra-premium gas - and they do indeed run better as a result. Heck, one car even came from the factory with water injection to smooth out the burn and prevent pinging - remember the turbocharged Oldsmobile F-85 Jetfire? :)

1962-1963-oldsmobile-f85-jetfire-1.jpg

(They called it "Turbo-Rocket Fluid", and it did contain some alcohol, to cool the intake.)

Attachments

• 2005-10-26_JetfireV8Web-Large.jpg
    2005-10-26_JetfireV8Web-Large.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 7

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey guys and gals, Keep those Invasion posts coming!! For those of us that could not make the trip we are living it through your post. Pictures and more pictures tell the story for us. If anyone has a couple of soft/hard top latches that hook the top to the front winshield please let Eric Gibeaut know. He is parts shopping for me!! I hope each of you have the best time possible and I wish I could be there too!

CHEERS,

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Friday!

Those staying at the Hotel visited this morning during the continental breakfast, then most off to Invasion Central. We had to limb our corvette over to the Troy Chevy dealer to get the drivers side rear tire fixed. Someone else will have to fill in the morning activities at Invasion Central. We made the Air Force Museum regular tour, so again someone else will have to fill in the "Behind the Scenes Tour" Back to Invasion Central and then off in groups to Young’s Dairy, some took a couple of U turns and extra scenic routes but everyone made it to dinner. Excellent food and finally everyone to have time to meet. WHAT was that THUNDER! Heck that's not just thunder but lightening! No I am not standing outside with an iron putter playing putt putt this does not seem like an excellent ideal. Not everyone made it back to Invasion Central without getting WET! What is a little rain "Downpour" among hardy Sunbeam Alpine's they dry.
Looking forward to not missing any of the action tomorrow since our tires are all holding air and we are good to go! Also looking forward to driving home on 4 good tires and not stressing out over one going flat, staring at the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) and having to stop and top of the air all the way home. Note for all travelers ALWAYS check your air pressure in your tires the day before leaving on a long trip!

Donna
:D

dmich2

Donation Time
What a day!!!!!! Drama, drama, drama. Counted 18 Sunbeams in the parking lot this AM. Funny, it's hard to get anyone moving once two members start talking....then others come by... then they open the hood, then they tell this and that. GEEEZ, let's head to Ian's...hehehehe. I, along with a few others stopped at the parts store for a few things and by 0830 or so a crowd was at Ian's. Where do I start. I meet so many great folks. Took lots of pixs, but.*$@#)??! left the USB cable and can't download.:mad:

Andrew is suppose to email me some and hopefully I can attempt to post them. So while some of us stayed back at Sunbeam Central (SC) most went for the tour. I hear McCain's little show kinda put a shafu in things. Can you say TRAFFIC JAM? Anyway, once they all got back the Andrew sage continued. But he got his just rewards. In the shape of Ed Esslinger. "Boy! What the hell is this? This is all wrong boy!!! I don't promise anything!!!! I might fix it, but I don't promise anything. NO!!! The green wire boy!!!!" It was a hoot. But guess what. Ed came thru. It's fixed. I want him to help me with my wiper switch tomorrow...But, I don't know if I can handle it....:p

New people. Beverly Booner from NH with her Med blue SIV attended, Mike and Karen Crawford in his awsome Wedgewood 63. Allan Ballard in...:eek: well, words can't quite discribe the paint job. Hopefully a picture will be on here soon. Joel Griffin brought an SIV with a 302 V8 and it's was something to behold. Unbelievable. Tom Johnson from GA, 1st timer, has a very nice SV. Bob Berghult has a beautiful Carnaval Red SIV. Ken Ellis is ready for a parade(We're trying to find a stripper for the parade bench he installed.) Donna and Hubby are here in Pumpkin. And then Bob and Jean Webb with a pristine 69 GT Rapier.

We had a great meal at Young's Dairy Barn, or something like that. Great showing. Clouds rolled in, lightning, so we headed back to SC and the rain finally came. Not too much, but cooled it down a bit. Steve from Florida pulled in and all I can say is, you can get ALOT of Sunbeam parts in a Dodge Caravan. Wow.

AHHHHHH. The grand event of the day. Sorry Todd and Ann Marie, and I know you are glad to pass the handle on for "Bad Luck at the Invasion" award, but Mark Thompson, "A" from Canada now picks up the monikor (sp). See, Mark just finished his V6 conversion and had about 200 miles on it before he left Canada for the drive down, and as he pulls in tonight everyone says, "Wow, that's running rough." After the motorheads converged and diagnoised this issue it was determined he has stripped the timing gears, which are NOT an easy job to replace. So tomorrow it's work, work work so Mark can get back over the border before his Visa expires.:eek: Thank God Doug Jennings Jr located new gears that will be picked up tomorrow morning and then the fun begins. I guess the good thing is, it's as good a place as any for something like this to happen.

Anyway, that's all for tonight. Getting late. Miss you all. Think South Dakota for 2009!!!!!

Dennis

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
I saw some!

Hey guys and gals, Keep those Invasion posts coming!! For those of us that could not make the trip we are living it through your post. Pictures and more pictures tell the story for us. If anyone has a couple of soft/hard top latches that hook the top to the front winshield please let Eric Gibeaut know. He is parts shopping for me!! I hope each of you have the best time possible and I wish I could be there too!

CHEERS,

Eric should have a pair for you, I saw them at Iinvasion Central, and some headlight brow rims WOW those are usually impossible to find, even a pair of chrome ones! All those good old used parts you need right here at Invasion Central and somehow I left today without buying anything, O well!

Donna

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Although I'd have to get my car there in boxes and bags in it's current condition, I'm commiteed to making an invasion one year. I have a checkbook with sunbeam money in it, and I probably need some parts that YOU HAVE, but an ocean and two continents are getting in my way. Thank heavens for on-line parts shopping. Counting the days to return to real life, however.

dmich2

Donation Time
Well....It's over. :( Here I sit, full as a tick from another great dinner, as some of the others start packing up for their treks home tomorrow and others headed for SC to retrieve their parts that didn't sell.

I really can't tell you much as I, being a "Dark Sider (DS)" was under the hood all day with fellow DS'er Mark Thompson,his son Kevin, Paul Almjeld along with others trying to fix his rough running, no compression (we thought :rolleyes:) Alpine. And although she's called Sunny, it weren't too bright of a day. It's a long story, but in a nut shell, we took a bunch of stuff off of her and couldn't find what was wrong with her. We even called Lord Vader (USA) aka Jim Ellis (I didn't have Jose's number in Columbia or I'd a called him) to get some ideas. And wouldn't you know it. Once we put her all back together she ran pretty good. It was late, and all we can think of now is his Duraspark had an issue with the heat and went haywire.

Anyway, it has been a wonderful time for me. I learned so much as No one, and I mean NO one is ashamed to give you advice. Even if you don't want it. :eek: LOL

I bought a few parts last night. Didn't get to put any on for reasons as previously stated. Most of the others took a long road trip today and seemed to really enjoy it. I would have loved to run along with a bunch of Sunbeams thru the country side and covered bridges. Maybe at another Invasion.

Speaking of Invasions. Scott Christie informed us of upcoming events. The SUNI which I think I spoke of and he says in posted on the site in Grand Rapids, SD. I'm toying with going, but man, a long ride from Norf Carolina. Then in 2010 the Invasion comes to my home state, to Ashville, NC. Time of year is maybe Spring, still undecided. Then Jack Bacon and those midwest guys "Yaaa. You bet cha" are planning one in Minneapolis, I think. I'm sure they'll post when plans get settled.

Sorry about the pixs. I'll post mine after I get home to my computer. I hope Donna or someone fills you all in on the road trip today. Also, I don't have the complete list for winners from todays judging, but will get it, or make sure Andrew posts it.

We really missed all of you who could not attend. I know its a burden at times trusting our 40+ year old treasures to make such a trip. Hopefully, an Invasion will be located in an area of the country you'll feel comfortable about attending. I hope I get to meet you all someday at a future gathering.

That's all from here. Take care, be safe and keep 'em on the road.

Oh yeah. New slogan, according to Scott. No fins, you aint IN. :mad:
LOL

Dennis

Mark T

Donation Time
I would like to reiterate Dennis's comments: Invasion VIII was AWESOME. Everyone involved in organizing this event should be very proud of their achievement; it could not have run smoother.

I would like to thank everyone who helped with Sunny's "repairs" today (even President Scott for suggesting a 4 cylinder conversion!). Just about everyone in attendance (and Jim Ellis via telephone) provided a helping hand in some way or another. I'm afraid to mention names because I know I'll forget someone, but I would especially like to thank Dennis and Paul, who spent the entire day in the shop helping my son Kevin and I. Not only that, but they chauffeured the two of us around while Sunny was under the weather (no pun intended). That was really going above and beyond!!!

Well, time to get to bed before our 10 and a half hour excursion back to the Great White North, eh. Thanks to the extreme generocity of our fellow Invasion attendees, I'm sure Sunny will get us there in style!

Cheers!

Jim E

Donation Time
You all got no idea how much I wish I was there under the hood a cussin with you. Not sure if I was any help but thanks for calling me and making me a part of the Invasion even if it was only a phone call connection. For me the real pisser is the reason I could not come was resolved this past thursday.... but such is life. I am just glad you folks are having a nice time but wish I was there. Regards Jim

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I was struck this time by how happy I was to see the PEOPLE, not just their cars. Yes, it's great to see the cars too, but you find yourself forming an attachment to all these crazy people and really looking forward to seeing them. And that also applies to those who couldn't make it - many asked about Jim Ellis, Shannon Boal and his father Ralph Selfridge, and other regulars who normally make up the landscape at the Invasion. You were missed!

Had a blast with the Canadians and am so glad they all came down, eh? Friday morning, thanks to the generosity of Doug Jennings, a handful of us went over to Tiger Auto with Andrew Masse's car and swapped out his gearbox. Steve Kirk, Andrew, and myself all have the burned arms and hands to prove it. We tried to do it in record time but it took an eternity for everything to cool down. Still, while the oil was draining out of the pan we were already loosening bolts and connections. The "new" gearbox, donated by Ian Spencer, has transformed the car according to Andrew. Let's just hope it gets him back home. (for the record we swapped it out in 4 hours)

Depending on the time of day we had 30 cars, most of them Alpines, with a few re-engined Alpines (aka Tigers) sprinkled in. Look for a great picture from Andrew of a proper Alpine
(1953) next to the last of the breed, a 1969 Alpine freshly restored by Bob Webb. We had them park together to get a picture of the beginning and the end.

Lots of parts for sale, lots of little workshops going on all at once, and plenty of comaraderie. Next year the battle cry is "50 Alpines for the 50th Anniversary!" Everyone promised to be in Rapid City to celebrate.

The 2011 Invasion will be in Ashville, North Carolina, and the 2012 Invasion will be in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

We're relieved in Ohio because we get three years off! :)

jack Bacon

Donation Time
That should read -

SUNI V 2009 Rapid City, SD
Invasion IX 2010 Ashville, NC
Invasion X 2011 Minneapolis, MN

right Scott?

Regards, Jack

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Why don't we just skip IX so we can keep the year straight.

i.e.
Invasion VIII Tipp City 2008
Invasion IX number not used intentionally 2009
Invasion X Ashville 2010
Invasion XI Minneapolis 2011

Just a thought

Mark T

Donation Time
I was struck this time by how happy I was to see the PEOPLE, not just their cars. Yes, it's great to see the cars too, but you find yourself forming an attachment to all these crazy people and really looking forward to seeing them.

I completely agree Scott! Unfortunately I didn't get to spend any time looking at the cars in the car show yesterday because I was working on Sunny all day but I don't feel short changed at all because I spent so much time with such a great bunch of people over the last few days. As interesting as the cars are, it's the people that make the show!

PS. Sunny made it back home without a hitch. The only issue was a massive traffic jam caused by the closure of Highway 401 just east of Toronto. Unfortunately I don't know the backroads in that area so I was stuck on the detour route, which was jammed solid. I noticed a truck a few vehicles in front of me do a U-turn so in true Alpine adventurous spirit I decided to trust that he knew what he was doing and follow him. After all, it's better to be lost driving an alpine than to be sitting still! Sure enough we were back on the highway in 20 minutes!

Thanks again to everyone who helped out yesterday so that I could make it home today and a special thanks to Ian for the use of his shop & tools!!!

Cheers!

RootesRich

Donation Time
Mark, glad to hear you made it back ok.

Invasion attendees, it was great seeing you all again and meeting new faces. It killed me not to be able to make it in my car (and snatch the long distance award from my good friend Steve ;)), but as I told many of you over the weekend, I feel very fortunate just to have been able to make it as is, all things considered. I was able to "upgrade" to the exit row on the flight back so I had some extra room to stretch out and take some pressure off my back.

Thank you all for being so welcoming towards my Dad. He had a great time and has almost committed to making the trek to Rapid next year with his car. (I'll be sure to hound him more and more as the date becomes closer).

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
We made it home!

:D Late leaving and late getting in but home safe. Loved seeing old faces and the many new! Waiting to hear from Bev that she made it safely home? Next year will be a new adventure too a new place, should be very interesting, now to drive my Alpine more and get the courage to make the trip to Suni V!

Donna