• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Proper brake line flaring kit

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
A retired mechanic near me is selling his old equipment. One of the things he lists is a "double flaring tool kit". How can I tell if this will make the proper bubble flares for our cars? Will any retired mechanic know if asked?

Thanks.

motor man

Donation Time
OK, I'M NOT RETIRED YET, 2MONTHS, AND I HAVE A COUPLE OF SETS, GO TO YOUR NAPA OR WHAT EVER PARTS STORE AND BUY A ONE FOOT PIECE OF 3/16 BRAKE LINE, IT WILL ALREADY BE FLARED, IT'S ALSO CHEAP. TAKE IT OVER TO THE OLD CODGER AND ASK HIM TO SHOW YOU HOW HIS WORKS ON THE FACTORY LINE THAT YOU JUST BOUGHT, I AM SURE THAT HE WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SHOW OFF HIS TALENTS. THE TWO MAIN THINGS TO LOOK FOR ON A DOUBLE FLARE IS THAT THE FIRST BUBBLE FLARE IS TUCKED FAR ENUFF DOWN INSIDE THE I D OF THE TUBE TO BE BELOW WHERE IT SEATS ON THE MALE FITTING, THE SECOND THING IS NOT TO GET CARRIED AWAY WHEN YOU PUT THE SECOND FLARE IN DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE TEE HANDLE OR YOU WILL SPLIT THE FLARE AT THE EDGE AND THAT IS A BOZO NO NO, REMEMBER HIM:eek: DOING DOUBLE FLARES IS FUN ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT, HOPE THAT HELPS , MOTORMAN STEVE

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jim,
If you do, and if it does, please publish the model number of the kit (hopefully it's on the box.) And Motorman Steve, the couple of sets you have, are they the type that would be currently available? A few people have told me "just get the NAPA kit" but turns out they had several different ones, and the counter guy sez "no such thing as a bubble flare" and there was, as usual, no convincing him otherwise.

Ken