• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

53 Alpine transmission parts help

1953 Alpine

Donation Time
I need to replace the trans shift tower. Can anyone assist with a part number or manufacturer? I was told the 1953 Sunbeam Alpine originally came with on the tree shifting. This may be a retrofit to put the shifter on the floor. I have searched unable to find a replacement part. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6476.jpeg
    IMG_6476.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6475.jpeg
    IMG_6475.jpeg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 23

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
This looks very much like the shifter used on the early hillman huskies. I don't have one available to check, but it looks like what I remember. Might be worth checking out.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
This looks very much like the shifter used on the early hillman huskies

53 Alpine,

Found this illustration in the WSM - don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh. The direct shift tower does seem to be similar to your picture. The series 2 Huskies had the remote "B" style shifter. So i suppose you are seeking a series 1 Husky ( or maybe even an earlier Mk model trans).

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 15

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Also you might consider having this repaired. If this is aluminum alloy it shouldn't be too difficult.

AlsPine

Donation Time
If it is high quality aluminum, and not pot metal, you should be able to have it welded up and then reform the saddle.
It would need to be absolutely clean, no solvent residue, and DO NOT USE brake cleaner as when welding anything cleaned with it, it will emit a very toxic gas that I believe is phosgene gas.
The best way to clean it after removing the grease and oil is using a blasting box with fine glass beads, not sand as there are too many other impurities in it.
Good luck with your project.

1953 Alpine

Donation Time
If it is high quality aluminum, and not pot metal, you should be able to have it welded up and then reform the saddle.
It would need to be absolutely clean, no solvent residue, and DO NOT USE brake cleaner as when welding anything cleaned with it, it will emit a very toxic gas that I believe is phosgene gas.
The best way to clean it after removing the grease and oil is using a blasting box with fine glass beads, not sand as there are too many other impurities in it.
Good luck with your project.
We did have a welder reshape the saddle last month. the repair did not last. He must not have spent the time to clean the surface correctly. The material broke off.

1953 Alpine

Donation Time
53 Alpine,

Found this illustration in the WSM - don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh. The direct shift tower does seem to be similar to your picture. The series 2 Huskies had the remote "B" style shifter. So i suppose you are seeking a series 1 Husky ( or maybe even an earlier Mk model trans).

Hope this helps,
I think you found it! Great work, thank you.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Don's manual excerpt seems to indicate that the "newer" style remote shifter may bolt up to your transmission. As a final "last resort" you maybe able to work with/modify one of these? Or perhaps there are parts on one that could help?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don's manual excerpt seems to indicate that the "newer" style remote shifter may bolt up to your transmission. As a final "last resort" you maybe able to work with/modify one of these? Or perhaps there are parts on one that could help?

Todd,

That is a possibility, but if you look at the pics in the first post and the remote shifter drawing you'll note the two items have different bolt patterns to accommodate the dipstick. The top cover could be replaced with a remote shifter from a sI Alpine trans with a dipstick. I'm guessing that would require some tunnel mods to provide clearance.

This is from WSM 124 - note the differences between early(A) and late remote shifters.

1953 Alpine, If you think you might want to pursue this direction, please send me a PM.

Hope this helps,

1675364497290.png