• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Q: For those using Valvoline VR1 20w-50

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
What have been your experiences with using it? Does it create sludge or issues with running in an Alpine motor, either the 1725 or others? I keep reading all sorts of 'advice' to run some sort of 20w-50 in a 'classic English car' (Moss Motors included) and am curious to the kind of damage it may do on startup in regards to additional engine wear, sludge, etc?

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I was using Castrol GTX 20/50 for years, until the ZDDP level dropped, without any noticeable issues. Switched to Valvoline VR1 20/50, again no issues. Now using Lucas Classic & Hot Rod 20/50, no issues. No sludge, no extra wear noticed, hard to compare without tear downs before and after using lighter to heavier oils.
Heavier oil can help keep your oil pressure up a couple of psi.
These cars are driven (started) almost exclusively in warm weather, so the heavier oil would circulate faster than on cold weather starts.
I also change oil frequently, every 3000-3500 miles.
Just recently purchased, from Walmart, Castrol GTX Classic 20/50. About $25.00 for a jug. Castrol states this new oil blend is made for flat tappet engines.
IMHO!

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
I use Brad Penn / Penn Grade 20w - 50w w/o any issues . After looking for oils w/ a high zinc content & reading
multiple reviews , I have used it exclusively since resurrecting an Alpine that had sat for 25 years . It’s an added
plus that it’s green ….so drips & drops on the garage floor are quickly identified as engine drips & drops & not other
vital fluids …..