• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Conv. top base screws

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm looking for new hinge screws for the convertible top brass block that mounts on the b-pillar. The top frame mounts onto an arm in the block that pivots on this screw. It's steel, 1.75" long with a 1/4" diameter. Any suggestions?

Thanx, Mark

DSCN1699.JPG

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Make one out of a 1 3/4" bolt , cut off the head and slot it with a hacksaw after grinding it down to where you need it to be.
That's what I would do.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mark,

I'm curious since my convertible frame is something I will need to re-install on my car at some point. Is the bolt you mentioned the one circled in this photo?

upload_2022-11-17_18-16-50.png

Thanks,
Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Make one out of a 1 3/4" bolt , cut off the head and slot it with a hacksaw after grinding it down to where you need it to be.
That's what I would do.
Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff, but I prefer to source correct hardware. As the pic shows, the shaft below the threads is smaller. And since the shaft serves as a pivot point, I would want true surfaces for even wear and to avoid wobble.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mark,

I'm curious since my convertible frame is something I will need to re-install on my car at some point. Is the bolt you mentioned the one circled in this photo?

View attachment 27429

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike. Yup, that's the bolt.

I find that more than half of b-post blocks have very degraded hinge bolts because water drainage for the convertible top was just one of Roote's shoddy designs. The small hole in the drain trough becomes blocked, allowing the base of the hinge to sit in about 3/4" pooled water and the bolt to rot away.

I'm hoping a fellow club member can suggest a possible source.

Thanx, Mark

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Odd that this is being spoken about,

I am currently working to have some made.

I discovered that nearly all of mine are rusty and in need of replacement.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I made mine pretty much as suggested by Junkman except I cut off the unwanted threads in the lathe. Seems unlikely that someone would be reproducing an oddball part like that. What would you even search for if it wasn't carried by one of the Sunbeam parts suppliers?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My guy is making one for me at this very moment.

Will advise on cost ASAP if anyone is interested.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like the cost per pair will be 18 to 20 dollars.

If anyone is interested in this please let me know ASAP.

Production will begin soon.

Volume can bring down costs.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

I'd take a pair if you make them. Might need them for my next project. :)

Thanks,
Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

I'd take a pair if you make them. Might need them for my next project. :)

Thanks,
Mike

OK MIke, I'll add you to the list. I do plan to have them made. I have already asked for 30 pairs. Hoping to increase the number for a better price.

Will discuss the difference in cost based upon the type metal such as stainless.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I noticed for the first time a few days ago how easily the drain trap under the bronse bracket for the soft top hinge can become plugged causing water to fill up and surmerge the "bolt". My Blue Boy was not is such bad shape back in 2008 when undergoing restoration.

But several of the parts to the tops I have for my other Alpines are in very bad condition. A friend (David H) called me asking for some replacement bolts about a week ago. We discussed the rusty condition and their causes. That is when I searched for and found some of my parts were in need of replacement.

I was in the shop (CenterLine Eng) today with Larry watching him make a bolt for me. That is when I read the POST Mark Davis made asking about a source.

My search a few day ago turned up ZERO, so here goes..........I should add that if anyone out there is interested in doing this fabrication, please do so quickly. The first on next week CLEng will be activated.

Repeat! If you are interested in purchasing a pair or more please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, put me down for two pairs. Thanks for doing this. Seems there are more corroded bolts/lever arms than there are clean ones. David H