• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

No gas from fuel pump

Paul67

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a 1965 SIV with an SV engine. This car was in storage for 28 years apparently.
Initially it had old gas in the fuel pump glass bowl. I removed the bowl and let that gas out.

Then I removed the inlet hose, and it was bone dry. This will horrify some, but I opened the gas cap and
blew gently down the hose towards the gas tank. This gave me a steady flow of gas.

The tank was almost empty, so I collected what came out and refilled with fresh gas. I now had a good steady feed to the pump, but the priming lever did not fill the bowl.
I loosened the glass bowl which filled it then I tightened it back up.

The pump was not outputting any gas at all, so I pulled the top section to inspect it by removing the six screws. Good screen. Good gasket. Some debris at the base. I gave it a good clean and reassembled. Still no fuel output. Yes, I understand it is better to remove the two bolts and take the unit off as a whole but it's on
ramps with two flat tires so removing one isn't a great option at the moment. Also, the ground is basically mud and we have had 3 steady days of rain. The car is under a carport though.

I looked at the WSM. 145 section C page 5 which shows the fuel pump.
Is there a way to remove the inlet and outlet valves? Do they go bad?
Can you clean out the passages?

Ok well I took it off again. Everything is super clean. The one valve has a nice spring action to open and close. The other that protrudes, I don't know. All back together and still no fuel by using the primer lever or by the action of the pump when cranking.

The diaphragm assembly still in place looks like new and has a good spring action too.
Any ideas without pulling the whole unit first?

I'm guessing you will all tell me that the diaphragm is shot. Any idea where I would get one?
Oh, and it starts on starting fluid so it's purely a no gas delivery issue.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties has the rebuild kit for like $22. I just did one couple weeks ago pretty straight forward job.Use 1/4 drive socket on a short extension to get the front bolt. Oh and drain the tanks before you take the lines off the pump.

Paul67

Gold Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties has the rebuild kit for like $22. I just did one couple weeks ago pretty straight forward job.Use 1/4 drive socket on a short extension to get the front bolt. Oh and drain the tanks before you take the lines off the pump.
As you did the rebuild, can you tell me if you removed the inlet and outlet valves?

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
You mean the opposite mounted check valves that are pressed into the housing? Little disc things? Yes, they come with the kit. Taking them out is the worst part of the job. Be careful not to damage the housing removing them and be sure the new ones are fully seated.