• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V shipping from Chicago

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
The fun of finding a transporter. The Nordby Series V located North of Chicago needed shipped to North Spokane Washington (1765 miles). I had over a dozen responses to my internet inquiries. These were mainly booking agents soliciting off a national board for a driver & transporter. I had bids from $625 to $1745. I selected a $799 bid figuring no matter what there was going to be some negotiating. I proceeded with the $799 booking agent and signed a contract that locked me into a fifteen day (time for the agent to find a driver at this price) commitment . Yesterday, the first possible date of pickup, I was contacted and informed that there was a driver that could do the job. "No other drivers have come forward." I called Nordby to let him know things were moving forward for a pickup in the afternoon. Then the information is refined as to the driver. At that point I'm informed it will be $1250. I refused the inflated amount compared to the agreed upon amount.. The agent said he would negotiate with the driver to determine what they could do. This process went on for two hours while I continued to refuse the multiple offers. Finally we agreed upon $875 with a new contract signed. Nordby was contacted by that driver, They made arrangements to load the car near I90, the main transport road going East from Nordby's location.
upload_2022-10-26_10-16-7.png

Nothing like having a Sunbeam enthusiast and longtime SAOCA member assisting. Well done Todd!! Now if I can work the same starting magic Todd used this Series V will be in my shop next week.

Last edited:

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
That’s a good price to the west coast! Cost about 1K from California to the Chicago area, came in dirty but no damage.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just a suggestion, if you haven't done this already. Insure it with Hagerty - or whoever you use - now. I watched a few years ago as a shipper unloaded a Porsche at Mototron's house and also watched as said shipper's cable broke while winching the car down the ramps. It could have been a lot worse, the car ran down the ramp and didn't fall off completely, but considerable damage was done to the front end when it hit the ground. Fortunately, Rocco had already insured it with Hagerty and they sent an adjuster out right away and cut Rocco a check for the damage. Everyone agreed that the shipper was at fault, but Hagerty said it was their job to go after the shipper, not Rocco's. For the small amount Hagerty charges, I cannot imagine shipping a newly purchased car without covering it first.