• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

weber 38/38

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Had one on the last V6 we did. The Holley wasn't working for us as we didn't think it would fit with a riser
or at least the riser we had. Opted for the Weber. It really works well with the V6. Sat right on the manifold
with a small spacer. We were very happy with the performance!

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The performance of a Weber 38/38 DGES 2-barrel is NOT equal to that of a Holley 390 4-barrel. When tested at the same 1.5"-Hg vacuum level, a Weber 38/38 DGES 2-barrel will flow about 30% less CFM (about 275 versus 390) than a Holley 390 4-barrel.

Note that 275 CFM @ 1.5"-Hg vacuum is enough flow to make 150 HP which is about what a good Ford 2.8 V6 "street engine" can do.

Edited to correct typo; 4-barrel carbs are typically flow tested at 1.5"-Hg vacuum (rather than 0.5" as originally posted). 2-barrel carbs are typically flow tested at 3.0"-Hg vacuum.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
The DGES is a progressive carb? Some guys were running the 38/38 DGAS sync carbs on their stock alpine....maybe that's better for the v6. Little thurstier as both chokes open . but more grunt down low

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The DGES is a progressive carb? Some guys were running the 38/38 DGAS sync carbs on their stock alpine....maybe that's better for the v6. Little thurstier as both chokes open . but more grunt down low

Who said anything about the DGES being a progressive carb?

The DGES has a synchronous mechanical (gear) secondary opening mechanism.

Typical automotive 2-barrel carbs are essentially the front half (2 equally sized throttle bores on a common throttle shaft) of a typical 4-barrel carb. Weber DG** 2-barrel carbs are essentially the left half of a 4-barrel carburetor and have separate throttle shafts (progressive or synchronous) for the two throttle bores which are not necessarily the same size.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Barry, I think it was a question. I took it that way.
Yup.. Hence the question mark and not a full stop at the end of the first sentence.
I know the DGAS that's why i was asking if the ES was a progressive model like the DGVs .. Or is the S in the code for synchronous?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Noted that it was a question; I apologize for assuming (yes, I know) otherwise.

For a DGxx carb, E for the third character supposedly designates an electric choke. I have no idea what A for the third character would mean. An S for the fourth character meaning synchronous makes sense in English, but Weber model nomenclature refers to Italian words and Weber's use of letter designations is apparently neither documented nor consistent.