• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Still hidden photos?

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The album containing the image is listed as private, viewable only by owner. Because the image owner shared the image in a post, you're able to view it there. But clicking on it takes you to the album, which is private.

The only solution I can imagine is revoking the ability for users to make albums private. I personally see no reason for users to have private albums, but that's not something I can unilaterally decide. It almost feels like something that should go to vote. I'll bring it up at our next board meeting and we'll go from there. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The album containing the image is listed as private, viewable only by owner. Because the image owner shared the image in a post, you're able to view it there. But clicking on it takes you to the album, which is private.

The only solution I can imagine is revoking the ability for users to make albums private. I personally see no reason for users to have private albums, but that's not something I can unilaterally decide. It almost feels like something that should go to vote. I'll bring it up at our next board meeting and we'll go from there. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Completely agree; the purpose of the gallery should be to share images, not to provide private online storage.

There is no telling what images may have been stashed in private albums, so maybe start by eliminating the ability to create new private albums and then "unlock" the existing private albums after a warning period to the owners.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks to Greggers for making this clear.

Suggest the Board take action quickly to decide what needs to be done. I for one agree there shiukd be no private albums.....

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I’m confused. That’s a picture I shot a few years back at the West Coast Invasion. If I recall I sent several pictures from the event to the club or posted them. How they got to a Private Gallery I have no idea but would be glad to help straighten this out if I submitted them incorrectly.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor

Aye, but there’s the rub... I can’t see it in the post, either. Only the link to the photo (see below).

And how is it that other folks seem to be able to see it when I can’t?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This makes no sense to me either and I just put this to a board vote on our Board Only forum. Assuming we have a majority (and, since Dan, Greg and I have already said this should be changed, I think getting a majority should prove pretty easy), we might want to give everyone a couple of weeks to remove any images that were deliberately posted as private, assuming this has actually happened.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is a private album of any value when having a conversation via private messages and a regular member wants to post images? As a moderator, I know I can post pictures in PMs. But I think regular members can only link to existing images residing elsewhere?

Mike

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Following a quick and easy Board vote, there will no longer be any private albums hosted on the site. "Private" was inadvertently the default setting and several of the alternatives were essentially the same thing as private. That said, Greg found that only 17 members had albums that were not public (I was one of them!) and all 17 have been notified that they should delete anything that was deliberately made private.

As for posting photos directly in Private Messages, Greg has turned this on for all supporting members. It was originally limited because of fears that it might overwhelm our storage capacity. Limiting the ability to share images in PM to supporting members only should help us keep up with any storage needs.

Thanks for bring this to our attention. Fortunately, it was a relatively simple fix.