• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Aluminum Radiator For Sunbeam Alpine Series V (EBAY)

cnalbers

Donation Time
I have one of those ebay Chinese aluminum radiators. There are two types sold on ebay from China, one slightly more expensive than the other. I bought the more expensive one. There are two issues with this radiator: 1) the radiator is much thicker than stock; you cannot run stock fan, must switch to electric. Depending on how you set that up, you may need to cut the fan housing to accommodate the water pump pulley. I have 2 10" fans and that is what I had to do. 2) the bottom outlet neck is a bit smaller than the stock radiator; it works but it's not a tight fit and you must be certain it is clamped tightly. Otherwise, it works just fine. My engine has never been cooler.

sunny67

Silver Level Sponsor
I had the same problem with the radiator hose not fitting properly on an aluminum radiator I installed on a Chevy project. Search on “radiator hose reducer”. They are rubber spacers that fill the gap. Gates makes various sizes. I found mine on Amazon, but I’m sure others carry them. It works perfectly in the Texas heat.

gary1725

Donation Time
I re-cored my radiator with a 3 row core and fitted a Durale fan (spelling questioned now) as a direct bolt on replacement (after machining open the center hole) for the stock fan which was supposed to move far more air but the temperature would still creep up on a 90+ degree day when in standstill traffic, I would be ok at lights but true standstill traffic was a challenge.

I installed http://alpineinnovations.co.uk/products/revotec-twin-fan-cooling-system/ this kit two years ago - I think it looks professional, I like the fact the fans are bolted to lugs welded directly to the radiator rather than using pull through ties, it's well made and I added a simple catch tank for the overflow so don't puke water after a top up - since adding the catch tank I haven't even had to top off the coolant at all - radiator is always full! and of course I have not seen a concerning temp since. I see the temp bump over the 85 mark and I can see from the voltmeter that the fans have kicked in (very hard to hear with the hood down and engine running) - I do have an override switch under the dash but do not use it - I have also been asked if the 2 fans are staggered at different temps - they are not - they come on together and very very quickly cool the car even at a standstill, which after all is the only time you need them. I still tap the temperature gauged to make sure :), annoys the wife, but I don't get anxious when the traffic doesn't start to move soon enough! All my experiences are post a fresh engine rebuild with new water pump etc so all sludge cleared from block and head water ports and thimble in good shape etc.. mention only to point out the radiator change was not trying to cover up another problem, just add more piece of mind and what I thought, reliability.

Radiatorandcatch.jpg

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I All my experiences are post a fresh engine rebuild with new water pump etc so all sludge cleared from block and head water ports and thimble in good shape etc.. mention only to point out the radiator change was not trying to cover up another problem, just add more piece of mind and what I thought, reliability.

View attachment 27007
A quick note... A fresh rebuild as in New pistons rings bearings etc will run warmer until its broken in and everything is bedded.

Also you said you put a 3 core into the radiator...i note it appears to be an alloy radiator, or you painted it silver??

Im surprised you needed to move so much air to keep it cool...

Did you verify the temp gauge and sender.. ? Was the car spitting out water? What radiator cap were you running before?

gary1725

Donation Time
I was not clear - the Engine was rebuilt 5 years and over 25K miles ago (rebore, all new bearings, head work, Chevy rods, custom pistons to restore compression, cam and valve gear send to Delta for KB grind and refresh - there was nothing I didn't replace or refresh) - at that time I had the stock Radiator re-cored, 3 row, installed Derale mechanical fan to replace the stock mechanical fan as it was recommended to move more air. The car ran perfect - yes it puked the expansion quantity of water the first time it ran if I topped off the radiator to the very top - the added expansion tank even avoids that now, no the car never "boiled over", I use the stock 9ld radiator cap. but the car with this set up did get very hot when stuck in dead standstill traffic on the hottest days - I would keep one eye on the temp gauge always wandering when I would start to move again so the car could cool down.

Perhaps only because I seem to like to tinker, 2 years ago I fitted the Aluminum radiator - I only mentioned the engine rebuild to avoid the inevitable question "did I only replace the radiator to mask the real underlying problem" - I did not - I was not really solving a problem, the car ran perfect 99% of the time - but, and I am sure the electric fans are largely to thank, but unlike before I can now sit in standstill traffic all day long and the temperature holds perfect I simply don't worry about it.

My only other point, since the discussion started with Aluminum radiators, good /bad, should I/ should I not, quality, China etc, was to try and point out that this particular kit was comprehensive, well made and had some nice touches, like mounting brackets for the fans rather than pull through ties and a set up that I think makes for a very tidy install - oh, and all the mounting holes matched up perfectly and all the hoses fit (he even offers Silicon versions to replace stock if you want)...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Perhaps only because I seem to like to tinker, 2 years ago I fitted the Aluminum radiator -

My only other point, since the discussion started with Aluminum radiators, good /bad, should I/ should I not, quality, China etc, was to try and point out that this particular kit was comprehensive, well made and had some nice touches, like mounting brackets for the fans rather than pull through ties and a set up that I think makes for a very tidy install - oh, and all the mounting holes matched up perfectly and all the hoses fit (he even offers Silicon versions to replace stock if you want)...
Gary which alloy radiator did you purchase?
As for the fans, the Ai stuff is generally good...but you probably only need a single electric fan.
Im also wondering if the horn block plates would have solved your issue as clearly its an airflow through the radiator issue at stand still rather than the cooling system.

gary1725

Donation Time
I fitted this radiator and fans

http://alpineinnovations.co.uk/products/revotec-twin-fan-cooling-system/

Like many I have read studies that describe recirculating hot air back over the radiator at idle and the inefficiencies of the stock fan and how to help mitigate and improve airflow over the radiator when stationary so yes I could have blocked the horn openings, put draught excluder between the radiator and any openings in the surrounding metal, fashioned a proper shroud to ensure as much air as possible passes over the radiator rather than around it.

I considered it all but also figured deleting the mechanical fan and fitting electric puller fans is the way modern cars have gone so why keep chasing improvements with a mechanical solution that has inherent limitations (fan speed at idle is fixed) when car manufactures themselves have solved this problem by going electric - I simply didn't see a downside, only upsides. not stock and I suppose a relatively expensive way to go (although current USD to GBP exchange is helping for anyone US based who does want to try this today) but in my experience it has worked perfectly and was a one stop and matched kit, I didn't have to chase around mix and matching parts.

If I have more fan coverage than I need - great because they only run when the cooling needs them to - they do a good job of covering the radiator real estate and do not hinder too much else - all in all one of the best modification I could have made.