• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1964 SUNBEAM Alger For Sale on eBay $24,500

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Technically a V-Alpine was a European delivery car the Alpine 260 . Not that it bothers me that the Tiger script fits the same holes as the Alpine ones as I understand .[/QUOTE

Your post is as much a "gift" as Ed's "conversion." Tiger" to Alpine. An automatic to boot. (assuming the holes are the same).

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did they even make an original automatic Tiger?
They made prototypes but the fuel consumption and performance was worse. The Ken Miles series II proof of concept car was a 2 speed auto.

The only factory prototype auto that sirvives was also tested with the 289.. Brian Rootes ended uo usimg it as his personal car.
It was restored in the UK around 2 years ago

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Other than grimising at your "donation time" designation, I follow verbatim everything you post almost as intently as I follow Bob W (who I haven't seen in a while) or Jan (himself). Do you KNOW that the factory ever produced a Tiger automatic?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Other than grimising at your "donation time" designation, I follow verbatim everything you post almost as intently as I follow Bob W (who I haven't seen in a while) or Jan (himself). Do you KNOW that the factory ever produced a Tiger automatic?
As above the factory did produce a proto auto mki which was also upgraded with a 4.7.

As stated after testing it became the private car of the rootes family and is well documented

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Quite sure there was a 260 with an automatic as a prototype. Can't remember if it was the white on or the dark colored one that's got the headrest and photos shoot with the gal splayed out over the boot.

As for donations PayPal is sending out suspension notices if you don't give them your personal info. They can already draft against my bank account.
As for donations time banner be careful what you ask for as a forum without content is like a car with no gas. Yes I know you can do as little as 5 bucks. Just saying. There's just better ways to ask like it's less than a cup of four buck's coffee which is now 6 bucks since they unionized.

* Just modified a Starbucks joke

alpine_64

Donation Time
Quite sure there was a 260 with an automatic as a prototype. Can't remember if it was the white on or the dark colored one that's got the headrest and photos shoot with the gal splayed out over the boot.
That was the red miles proto with the 2 speed auto.

But rootes built a proper mki auto prototype. Had a 260 then 289...thats the brian rootes personal car.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor

I bought the car from Ed. It had a tired 289 in it that I replaced with a 302, bored .030 over with a stage two Comp Cam. It ran very well and was fast...faster than the Tiger I recently sold. I sold it to a gentleman from California who drove it home - South Dakota to California. It was a solid, rust free example when I sold it. I bought it from Ed at the Invasion in Georgia and drove it back to sunny SD. My wife followed me in our '67 Alpine (Ol Blue). I had the car for five or six years when I got a call out of the blue. The buyer was wanting an auto tranny Tiger (Alger) and made me a ridiculous offer I did not refuse.