• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Classifieds

afc742

Bronze Level Sponsor
What do I need to do to post alpines for sale? It wouldn't let me post, said something about not enough points or something like that.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Need to join the saoca. Posting in the Sales section is only for members
To be precise, posting in the For Sale section is only for supporting members. Membership in the club is free, but only those who contribute are able to use the forum for e-commerce. That is the only restriction we place on non-supporting members. Supporting membership can be as little as $5/year, which we didn't think was too much to ask for helping the Club keep the lights on.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just the tech info and advice I get around hear makes my gold level membership an incredible bargain.

At renewal time I will be upping the anti. Fingers crossed there will be any of those nice repro membership badges left. I would have done it this year, but they came out about a month after I renewed.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Submit a really nice photo for the calendar! You will have a 1 in 12 chance of winning one. :)

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sadly the car is still at the paint shop. Its been ready to pick up in two weeks since the first of the year.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I could imagine some really cool photos from the paint shop, if they will let you take them.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Just the tech info and advice I get around hear makes my gold level membership an incredible bargain.

At renewal time I will be upping the anti. Fingers crossed there will be any of those nice repro membership badges left. I would have done it this year, but they came out about a month after I renewed.

Same here.

Nice work kudos to The President and Board. Very creative and doing some great stuff for the members and Rootes community. Wish the previous president was as innovative….

oh wait….

Last edited:

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Same here.

Nice work kudos to The President and Board. Very creative and doing some great stuff for the members and Rootes community. Wish the previous president was as innovative….

oh wait….

Anyone who takes the time, makes the effort to serve on the board deserves kudos from all of us for all they do for SAOCA.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
You guys on the board do a great job of keeping the site friendly and yet disciplined. Boo Hoo for the whiners that won't spend $5 to post their vehicles and parts for sale. They take as much free advice as they can get. Thank You all for your time and dedication to this forum, we're lucky to have you.
Junkman

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
You guys on the board do a great job of keeping the site friendly and yet disciplined. Boo Hoo for the whiners that won't spend $5 to post their vehicles and parts for sale. They take as much free advice as they can get. Thank You all for your time and dedication to this forum, we're lucky to have you.
Junkman
Can't agree with you more, Jeff!

SAOCA is, by far, the most active, supportive and welcoming 'Beam club I know of. The tech information alone is worth far more than the modest minimum contribution to keep it running.

I get it: a new member might not be quick to monetarily contribute to a club they know nothing about. But we have (and have had) members with $100k of cars who, after years, haven't kicked a penny into the pot.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
First off the 5 bucks is the best eBay alternative there is. Was there a incentive for those peeps that found a barn find and brought it here first for members to get the first bite, because there was no pay wall ? maybe.

Some big sites have posting requirements so they get content before they allow for sale item. There were moderated forums so the organizer's got first bite. Some have added advertising to make ends meet. Craigslist is mostly free but now asks for 5 bucks payable by a real credit or debit card. " This is only for cars." CL has a big problem with fake ads. If you need an example look at trailers for sale . Those prices are too good to be true for a reason they are . Years ago I submitted that a forum would get less spammers if we borrowed a bank method but use PayPal to send us . 25 cents or less. Then we'd have an address and a real verified person.

When I moderate a misplaced on another forum, that ad that may be pay wall avoiding behavior. I solicit them and have a great closing ratio. I hope that the same is done here and the 5 bucks is quite an softball pitch compared to my pitch. Before that same club tried a much larger pay wall for brick and mortar business guys that didn't work as they wanted. Mainly because nobody likes their arm bent and those guys also provide content which you can't put a price on. One guy a leading poster and self-describe Scotsman , helped kill that large paywall which I was never in favor of but had the bad cop enforcement job.

On related topic...
Last week I got a suspension notice from PayPal as they are treating everyone as a retail seller. Not doing it I'll use Zelle but that also jeopardizes any PayPal subscription that clubs depend on possibly as well as donation time. Personally I always try to not subscribe but manually friends and family clubs. Good practice in that they are too big to see what's slipping though the cracks is their 2.9% Other club had 60 drops in one year. I had suggested years earlier that following up with a phone call may stop the bleeding. Years later they did it and got more than 50 back.

When considering the pay wall
there's the evil giant that allows Free posting of for sale items. That's the big thing to worry about as well as the non affiliated cross posted items.
Will guys post on Craigslist or eBay then drag and drop here?
I recall the former owner of a Sunbeam shop sold on the business. He then as a club member posted the cars for sale for the non member business owner. The club had a no advertising rule that wasn't promulgated nor posted. When called on it that guy was able to hard delete all of his postings which to many were regarded as gospel like the book. Amazing how grown men can do the grown up equivalent of taking their ball and going home. *

To reiterate I support the small paywall. What I'd like to see is the clubs get together for parts making rather than members scrapping for bits here and there.

*This is intended to be a riddle as this is an open forum discussion.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Funny you should mention this, but one of my hobbies is reporting scam enclosed trailer listings on Facebook marketplace. It keeps me pretty busy.