• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

License plate holder - USA plates

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
For those who may need a plate holder, not OEM style. Here's what I made up for mine. If you want the sketch, PM me and I will e-mail a pdf file you can print out.
Edited 9/5/2022 to show final version after paint. Note the top edge was bent back to overlap the valance.
Joey

upload_2022-9-5_11-39-9.png

upload_2022-9-5_11-40-32.jpeg

upload_2022-9-5_11-41-9.jpeg

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice work Joey.

In Washington State we only need to display the "Collector" plate on the rear. In the front we can choose a UK plate to fit the original plate holder.

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks
ND has a Pioneer Plate and a Collector Plate available for a small one time fee (no yearly renewals). The Collector Plate has limited use though, you must be driving to a show or driving to have it serviced Ha Ha. The Pioneer Plate for elderly vehicles has no limits.
Before I paint it, I may elect to bend the top mounting tabs 90 degrees to the back to match the valance profile, so it doesn't look like a couple dog ears sticking up!

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks
ND has a Pioneer Plate and a Collector Plate available for a small one time fee (no yearly renewals). The Collector Plate has limited use though, you must be driving to a show or driving to have it serviced Ha Ha. The Pioneer Plate for elderly vehicles has no limits.
Before I paint it, I may elect to bend the top mounting tabs 90 degrees to the back to match the valance profile, so it doesn't look like a couple dog ears sticking up!

GOOD IDEA!

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
It would be easier to just cut them flush with the top of the valence. It would be for me at least.
Yes it would be easier, but the design intent was to keep sufficient material above the mounting holes so there was enough strength/rigidity to prevent breakage while fluttering in the wind. The 90° break I added actually now makes it more rigid.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The best one was on the early S4 cars it had a rubber connector which allowed it to push in when grounded or grabbed by the old bumper lift tow trucks. There's a STOA article on the many stock ones that surfaced.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes that's the one. Certainly I don't mean to not be positive about the holder made and template offered. I removed my factory plate holder for the grounding reason. I was lucky entering the sloped driveway and exclaimed *$&# when it hit.
As a result I'm risking a fix it ticket or a meter maid one for running with out. Always the bigger concern is don't supply probable cause. But the cop likely has to see you coming :)