• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gasket Set "Hot Spot" Items

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
I obtained a top end gasket set for my 1959 Rapier. included in the set are 2 items listed as "Hot Spot". Any idea of how they are used and where? They are specifically called out to be used on Rapiers.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
View attachment 26820

The "Hot Spot" pieces are the white arrow shapes. They are a very thick insulative type material.

Chrisp,

I'll try to find a set of iron head manifolds to check, but I think the term "Hot Spot" indicates the part(s) in question are used between the intake and exhaust manifolds where they are connected together. Two external bolts and one through bolt for the connection.

Maybe,

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
Chrisp,

I'll try to find a set of iron head manifolds to check, but I think the term "Hot Spot" indicates the part(s) in question are used between the intake and exhaust manifolds where they are connected together. Two external bolts and one through bolt for the connection.

Maybe,
Thanks for that. The carburetor intake rests on top of the exhaust manifold. These triangles are located on a "pin" on the manifold and are an insulator. Perfect! I get it!!

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
Chrisp,

Maybe,

s-l1600b.jpg
There is also this thick insulative gasket in my set. I presumed this was for the fuel pump, to insulate the fuel from the hot block. However there is also a cover plate on the block of exactly the same shape. Which is it I wonder? My list of parts on the gasket set does not call out a gasket for the fuel pump.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
[QUOTE="Chrisp Rapier, post: 228178, member: 12858"
There is also this thick insulative gasket in my set. I presumed this was for the fuel pump, to insulate the fuel from the hot block. However there is also a cover plate on the block of exactly the same shape. Which is it I wonder? My list of parts on the gasket set does not call out a gasket for the fuel pump.[/QUOTE]

Chrisp,

You're correct, the thick one is for the fuel pump. It looks like it might already have a gasket attached on both sides. Maybe someone will chime in about the need of a gasket(s) in addition to the insulator.

The other location is an alternate location for the fuel pump. I'm not sure I've ever seen that position used. It's probably for a different, not imported model( Commer) or an earlier, discontinued model. It was about that time period when blocks and cams stopped being cast with the second mounting position.

Hope this helps,

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
[QUOTE="Chrisp Rapier, post: 228178, member: 12858"
There is also this thick insulative gasket in my set. I presumed this was for the fuel pump, to insulate the fuel from the hot block. However there is also a cover plate on the block of exactly the same shape. Which is it I wonder? My list of parts on the gasket set does not call out a gasket for the fuel pump.

Chrisp,

You're correct, the thick one is for the fuel pump. It looks like it might already have a gasket attached on both sides. Maybe someone will chime in about the need of a gasket(s) in addition to the insulator.

The other location is an alternate location for the fuel pump. I'm not sure I've ever seen that position used. It's probably for a different, not imported model( Commer) or an earlier, discontinued model. It was about that time period when blocks and cams stopped being cast with the second mounting position.

Hope this helps,[/QUOTE]
Ahhh. Interesting about the second fuel pump location. I was wondering about the cap. I made a paper gasket for the cap and installed it with sealant. barring any imput I will just use the gasket sealant on the fuel pump insulator gasket. Thank you for your insight.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for that. The carburetor intake rests on top of the exhaust manifold. These triangles are located on a "pin" on the manifold and are an insulator. Perfect! I get it!!

Chrisp,

Just an informational note, the WSM says that the two manifolds should be torqued to the head BEFORE torquing the two manifolds together. This helps ensure both manifolds seat to the head correctly.

Hope this helps,

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
Chrisp,

Just an informational note, the WSM says that the two manifolds should be torqued to the head BEFORE torquing the two manifolds together. This helps ensure both manifolds seat to the head correctly.

Hope this helps,
Good to know. I did not know that. Thank you.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
With regards to the fuel pump spacer/gaskets. The thick spacer goes between pump and block, gaskets are used to space out the pump to get correct pressure from the pump.

Spacing the pump out moves it away from the cam lobe, so that pump lever arm reduces stroke (pressure) , moving the other way obviously has the opposite effect.

That's the official line, in my experience I've only ever used the spacer and one gasket and get about 2 psi out of the pump.

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
With regards to the fuel pump spacer/gaskets. The thick spacer goes between pump and block, gaskets are used to space out the pump to get correct pressure from the pump.

Spacing the pump out moves it away from the cam lobe, so that pump lever arm reduces stroke (pressure) , moving the other way obviously has the opposite effect.

That's the official line, in my experience I've only ever used the spacer and one gasket and get about 2 psi out of the pump.
Thanks I was wondering what the spacer does to the geometry of the lever.