• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1959 Rapier push rod tube.

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
In cleaning up my head I realized there was a hole under some rust scaling, in one of the push rod tubes. I thought, no problem I have a second head. That one ends up having the exact same issue; a hole in one of the tubes. I looked online for info on the possibility of replacing it. I found nothing. I looked also for availability of a part. Again nothing. I gather the tube is press fit in place. Any info on parts or a how to, would be much appreciated.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Chrisp,

Your newest post reminded me about this question. Sorry to take so long to get a reply posted.

No, I've not heard of the push rod tubes rusting through so I don't think it's a common issue. I was hoping a UK poster might be able to shed some light on the issue if the problem was known to be common there. Actually, I'm surprised oil leakage in that area allowed any corrosion.

The bad - the WSM makes no mention of the push rod tubes or repair.

The good part is the UK was still on the Imperial system in those days. Finding appropriate tubing for repair, hopefully, shouldn't be very difficult.

I think the tubes are pressed into the head. If so, then there was a sealant of some type probably used at assembly. IIRC, the spark plug tubes in alloy heads are installed with a sealant.

Maybe this helps,

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
Chrisp,

Your newest post reminded me about this question. Sorry to take so long to get a reply posted.

No, I've not heard of the push rod tubes rusting through so I don't think it's a common issue. I was hoping a UK poster might be able to shed some light on the issue if the problem was known to be common there. Actually, I'm surprised oil leakage in that area allowed any corrosion.

The bad - the WSM makes no mention of the push rod tubes or repair.

The good part is the UK was still on the Imperial system in those days. Finding appropriate tubing for repair, hopefully, shouldn't be very difficult.

I think the tubes are pressed into the head. If so, then there was a sealant of some type probably used at assembly. IIRC, the spark plug tubes in alloy heads are installed with a sealant.

Maybe this helps,

Don't be surprised that the rusting of this tube is unique. This is what I am working with. LOL:

278073351_267724515567715_4986082829871637920_n.jpg
Yes I came to the same conclusion about a part availability, so I searched for a replacement. I found a piece of tubing with exactly the same outer diameter. I also have a socket with a perfect fit to the hole. I used the socket to drive out the old tube. It was not too difficult to remove. I cleaned the bore and drove a new tube in. Again a nice snug fit that was not too difficult to drive into place. I am confident it will seal up properly. Thank you.

Last edited: