• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

bumper wrap

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just ordered from Avery Dennison sufficient "silver chrome" vinyl wrap to try out on my bumpers.
Cost of re-chroming is just too high for me at this time, as well as the cost of new stainless bumpers.
I thought I would document how this goes from start to finish, in case any one might like to see the before, during and after. The wrap will arrive by end of week, but bumpers have to be cleaned up and made straight first. Cost of wrap $ 98 Cdn. plus UPS
Photos will follow with progress.
Bob

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Interesting idea, would also like to hear back after you have several road miles on the wrap to detail how it is holding up. Also, curious how easy (or difficult) it is to install.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I've heard the vinyl wrap is good for about 5 years. Maybe if you coat it with KBS Diamond clear coat and Ceramic polish you could extend the life. I have a bumper with no chrome left on it. This summer I'm going to wire brush loose surface rust. Use rust conversion coating and paint gloss black. Then use silver mirror coating with a drop of violet to simulate chrome. Clear coat with KBS Diamond finish and then Ceramic polish.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
5 years is about what I have heard also. Not sure if clear coat would damage the vinyl though.
Like your plan Jim

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just ordered from Avery Dennison sufficient "silver chrome" vinyl wrap to try out on my bumpers.
Sounds like a very interesting option. It will be fun to see the before and after and hear the first hand account.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Assume you will need to heat shrink on tge install to get around the complex curves and radius and taper at the turning point and ends

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
The vinyl showed up on Thursday, so I put one of the bumpers in the basement shop. Did some straitening up of the bumper as it was twisted and had some damage on the left side. Due to the width of the vinyl ( 54") I'll be wrapping the center section of the bumper first in between the bumperettes. then the outside curves. Bumperettes are removed, but when installed will cover any visible seam. Expect to finish priming the bumper tomorrow then start the wrap.IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2559.JPG IMG_2560.JPG
some photos to where I am so far.IMG_2550.JPG

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
So. Wrapping the straight section of the bumper went fairly well, although I was not at all impressed with the wrap quality.
Wrapping the ends was another challenge all-together. After a few tries and the disappointment in the product ( it's sheen and so easily scratched ) I put the wrapping idea in the garbage.
Thanks for asking Jim.
Bobbo

67Survivor

Donation Time
I may have gotten off easy, but I managed to get the local chrome shop to straighten my badly mangled back bumper, do some minor repairs to the front bumper and re-chrome both bumpers and all 4 bumperettes for $800 canadian. That was about 4 years ago. I will say, that the new chrome does not hold up as well as the original chrome, but it sure looks a lot better than what I had.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I may have gotten off easy, but I managed to get the local chrome shop to straighten my badly mangled back bumper, do some minor repairs to the front bumper and re-chrome both bumpers and all 4 bumperettes for $800 canadian. That was about 4 years ago. I will say, that the new chrome does not hold up as well as the original chrome, but it sure looks a lot better than what I had.

Depending on where you live, I have found a chromer close to Dallas that will do Alpine or Tiger bumpers for (currently) $190.00 each. That's for a bumper that doesn't need straightening or dents removed. They just did my Tiger overriders for $25 each. It's daily driver chrome quality but looks great if you just want good looking bumpers/overriders for your car for under $500.00. Of course shipping is on top of cost to re-chrome. PM me for contact info if you are interested in checking them out.

Rick

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
So. Wrapping the straight section of the bumper went fairly well, although I was not at all impressed with the wrap quality.
Wrapping the ends was another challenge all-together. After a few tries and the disappointment in the product ( it's sheen and so easily scratched ) I put the wrapping idea in the garbage.
Thanks for asking Jim.
Bobbo

Bobbo:

Perhaps the pros that do car wraps could do the install? I have seen some amazing, complicated wraps that are outstanding.

Rick

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I've heard that the chrome is the hardest of the wraps to install, So not surprised that my shot at it first time out didn't go as planed.