• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Paint color/type in engine bay/suspension

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Does anyone have a listing of the type of paint used in the engine bay and front suspension for a Series V?
I am wondering what type of Black paint to use on the following components (Gloss?Semi-Gloss?Satin?Flat?)
Steering column, Steering center cross tube, Steering relay lever bracket, Horns and mtg brackets, Front suspension main beam and steering arms etc.
Also is the Steering gear box left bare aluminum and just the top plate painted black?
Trying to stay close to OEM color finishes.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I cheap out and always use gloss black. Then hit with a little 600 then heavy duty rubbing compound to bring up to semi or satin.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Except for the ones that were used in "Here comes the Judge."
BoN
Possibly more correct is that the gloss flattens out overtime to be more satin. At least that's what the original car's I've seen had.

sunny67

Silver Level Sponsor
If you’re not after the factory original look, try Eastwood’s 2K Ceramic Aerosol Chassis Black Satin. Be sure to get the one that says 2K. It’s more expensive than the standard rattle can but the 2 part mix makes it hold up to just about any chemical found in an engine bay. It comes in a special rattle can that mixes the 2 parts on demand or in paint cans with a separate can for the 2nd part for a sprayer. You can find it on Amazon or at Eastwood.com.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, this topic has come up time after time after time. I'm surprised it still comes up?
Jan

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
So true Jan.

I did find that Krylon paint at Lowes or maybe it was Home Depot provided a good match to the weathered gloss black look. It is very durable and works around high heat areas.

upload_2022-8-17_9-38-35.png

upload_2022-8-17_9-39-9.png