• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 shifting problem

buddy

Diamond Level Sponsor
The following problem occurred on a resent trip in my V6 Alpine. I put the T5 transmission into Neutral at a "Stop light" but when I attempted to put in 1st gear to pull away after the light changed to green, I could not get the transmission to go into any forward gear. The clutch pedal was depressed as normal, no grinding noises occurred. After struggling with the gear shift I was able to get the transmission into 3rd gear. I pulled away and then when my speed was high enough, I shifted up to 4th and 5th without any issues.

Later at an other Stop light when putting the transmission in Neutral the same problem occurred. I managed to get the transmission in 2nd gear that time and it shifted okay up through the higher gears. I a voided putting the transmission in Neutral at any other stops during the trip. I had no problems down shifting to lower gears.

At home after the trip I have put the transmission in Neutral and the transmission can be shifted into all gears.

My question is has anyone had this type of problem and if so, have you determined what the cause is and how did you fix the problem?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The most likely cause of difficulty in putting a manual transmission in gear from a stop is the clutch not being completely disengaged.

Possible reasons for the clutch not completely disengaging include low hydraulic fluid level in the clutch master cylinder, internal leakage in the clutch master or slave cylinder, mis-adjustment of the clutch slave cylinder linkage, wear in the clutch throwout bearing, wear on the clutch release fingers, slave cylinder mounting issues, wear on the pivoting arm in the M-II bellhousing or some combination of these possibilities.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
On rare occasions, after my Blue Boy has sat a few days and attempting to back out of my garage with the engine running, selecting reverse gear in my T5 is hard. Pump the clutch (hyd) a couple times does the trick.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I concur with the clutch not being fully disengaged.

Depending on the T5 version, it may not grind going into ANY gear, including reverse.

If the clutch drags the syncros will keep it from going into gear.

Later T5s have a reverse brake (syncro) that will do the same as the forward gears.

DW

buddy

Diamond Level Sponsor
I concur with the clutch not being fully disengaged.

Depending on the T5 version, it may not grind going into ANY gear, including reverse.

If the clutch drags the syncros will keep it from going into gear.

Later T5s have a reverse brake (syncro) that will do the same as the forward gears.

DW
Thank you all for replying T5 transmission issue. I am in the process of removing the engine and transmission at this time. I plan to replace all clutch related components within the Mustang II bell housing.

Does anyone know of a clutch kit supplier other than "Summit" to purchase a kit for the 2.8 V6 engine?