• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

External clutch installation on V6

buddy

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am considering on installing a new clutch slave cylinder on my V6 Alpine. My questions are, if you have used the mounting bracket included in a "Jose conversion kit" : did you have any problems doing the installation; are you happy with how the clutch works; and how is the setup holding up after it has been on your car?

Please feel free to provide any suggestions or comments on the "pros or cons" of using this setup. My original clutch setup has worked for almost 30 years now, but I am removing the transmission due to a shifting problem and considering making the change during the repair.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am considering on installing a new clutch slave cylinder on my V6 Alpine. My questions are, if you have used the mounting bracket included in a "Jose conversion kit" : did you have any problems doing the installation; are you happy with how the clutch works; and how is the setup holding up after it has been on your car?

Please feel free to provide any suggestions or comments on the "pros or cons" of using this setup. My original clutch setup has worked for almost 30 years now, but I am removing the transmission due to a shifting problem and considering making the change during the repair.

Why are you thinking about installing a new clutch slave cylinder on your V6 Alpine? Is it damaged / leaking / not working correctly?

Unless the "Jose conversion kit" mounting bracket for the clutch slave cylinder is broken or damaged, I don't see how it would make any difference to operation of the clutch system.

Are you referring to changing from an external hydraulically actuated M-II clutch linkage setup to a "hydraulic throwout bearing" setup? If so, that is a different discussion. "Hydraulic throwout bearings" are the modern technology for millions of OEM manual transmission vehicles. The biggest "problem" is the requirement for a correct installation.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Like the old saying goes if it ain't broke.....

The only issue I have or had with jose slave bracket was it is mounted too close to the headers. Heat from them can cause damage to the slave.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
Is that too close to your straight back header or the header originally in Jose’s kit?
Would it be possible to install a heat shield?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have used the Wilwood for 10 years and have mixed feelings about it. It works but the pedal is harder than I like
and I think is sensitive to heat build up, esp. in slow traffic. In that situation the pedal is pretty much on the floor before it disengages.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
Is that too close to your straight back header or the header originally in Jose’s kit?
Would it be possible to install a heat shield?

Mike, The slave cylinder mount bracket that jose had in his kit was mounted right up underneath the headers. Very little clearance was available.

The slave cylinder bore the brunt of the heat produced from the headers.

My fear was the possibly of damage to the cylinder.

I designed a bracket that sat much farther away from the heat generated by the headers.
And yes Mike, a shield should be utilized especially with the jose style.

Here's a PIC of the difference between the two. The brown color bracket is the Jose one. Mine is the silver one.

Attachments

• 2.8 V6 SLave Cylinder Brackets - Brown is Jose - Sliver is DanRs  $RBR9GCM.jpg
    2.8 V6 SLave Cylinder Brackets - Brown is Jose - Sliver is DanRs $RBR9GCM.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

Both designs of the headers are very similar from the exhaust ports downwards to near the crossmember because of the Siamese type heads AND the Alpine engine compartment.

The number 6 cylinder exhaust tube turns towards the front of the engine then turns downwards along with the other tubes in order to clear the steering linkage. At or very near this point the slave cylinder mount comes into play. Jose's mount is secured by two bolt holes in the block. (See the PIC above where the "brown" bracket is mounted. The header tubes run downwards about 1 1/2" from the bracket.

Notice that mine is all the way to the rear of the engine away from the heat.

I just saw Doug's post about his suspicion of a heat problem with the slave.

At a point (near the crossmember) the major difference in the header design takes place, Jose's were primarily for drag racing. Mine can be used for that also, however, the straight back style allows for better road clearance and a cleaner look IMO.

buddy

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have used the Wilwood for 10 years and have mixed feelings about it. It works but the pedal is harder than I like
and I think is sensitive to heat build up, esp. in slow traffic. In that situation the pedal is pretty much on the floor before it disengages.
Thank you all for replying to my request about the operation the Wilwood slave setup. I am pulling the engine and transmission, because all the advice I have received locally believe the problem is clutch related. I probably will keep my current clutch setup unless see some physical problems. I just wanted hear other car owners opinions on the Wilwood setup.