• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Master output thread size

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have the thread size for the clutch Master output? I know that the brake master and the Wilwood "Girling style" master cylinders are 3/8-24 but the clutch looks larger - is there an adapter available between the two sizes?

thanks

Gary

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The clutch slave connections are 7/16-20. When looking at old spare clutch pipes, I didn't notice any size difference between the connectors on the ends. It seems likely the clutch master connection is also 7/16-20.

Mike

gary1725

Donation Time
Thanks - cannot find an adapter to go from 3/8-24 male to 7/16-20 female - which clutch master cylinders have folks used for a SV if the Wilwood 5/8 master has the wrong output port (3/8-24)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had my original clutch master sleeved and rebuilt. Bought a replacement hydraulic pipe from Sunbeam Specialties.

If you want to use the Wilwood master, maybe fabricate your own pipe with the necessary connectors. Make sure you work out the flares needed on each end. Maybe the Wilwood master needs a double flare? Clutch slave needs a bubble flare? You had a thread about flares earlier this year, but don't know if you picked up a flaring tool.

Another option is to try to re-use your existing clutch pipe. Cut off the flare from the master end, slide off the connector, add a 3/8-24 connector and then flare the end. An open question is if the length you lose when cutting off the flare is too much for the pipe to still fit well.

Mike

gary1725

Donation Time
Thanks Mike - I actually rebuilt my original Clutch Master to get the car back on the road - was actually pretty good inside but having it re-sleeved is also an option as is working up my own pipe with fittings to match the Wilwood master - I will rethink over the winter and take one path or another!