• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Clock positive vs negative ground

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello all, in the market for a clock for my SV. Have identified one but not sure if it is positive or negative ground. How can I tell?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you looking for a Smiths clock? I've seen some with markings on the back. My 2194/17 clock has "FEED LEAD NEGATIVE (-VE)" on it, which means it was for a positive ground car. My clock was not in working condition. I sent the clock to Mike Eck for him to insert a crystal controlled element to get a working clock again. He indicated the modified clock will work with either polarity. I have a series V (negative earth) and wired up the modified clock with +12V for the feed and grounded the case.

Mike

upload_2022-8-14_11-14-33.png

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you looking for a Smiths clock? I've seen some with markings on the back. My 2194/17 clock has "FEED LEAD NEGATIVE (-VE)" on it, which means it was for a positive ground car. My clock was not in working condition. I sent the clock to Mike Eck for him to insert a crystal controlled element to get a working clock again. He indicated the modified clock will work with either polarity. I have a series V (negative earth) and wired up the modified clock with +12V for the feed and grounded the case.

Mike

View attachment 26771
Thank you Mike, I will try and see if there is such identification on the clock I have an eye on. Yes, looking for a Smith clock, do you have a spare unit?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't have a spare. I bought the 2194/17 clock from SAOCA member volvoguys (Mark) because the digit layout, hand colors, and adjustment knobs look correct for a series V, but it is not the correct clock. The correct clock, CE3131/01, tends to go for very high dollars. The same clock was used on Tigers and I think the high prices for those clocks are a result of the Tiger folks having a higher value for the clock.

Mike

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanx for the plug, Mike.

I currently have a number of Smiths CE-series clocks on hand, to include the elusive CE3131/01. Prices on clocks vary quite a bit depending on condition and the CE number on the dial.

Alpi67: If interested, PM plz.

Mark ..... v