• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Clutch Disc Questions

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Can anyone explain the why of these clutch discs being so different from each other? Number 2 has got me baffled on what the $#%&, why is it so different.

Number 1. Original Borg&Beck OEM disc removed from vehicle in 1983.
4 Single heavy weight springs, slightly rough to the touch greyish black non-slotted friction material, center splined hub 1 5/16” long, and flywheel side of center hub protrudes 5/8” from center plate of disc. Engraved markings: Borg & Beck Co Ltd England Flywheel Side 50646
upload_2022-8-8_8-31-36.jpeg

Number 2. Replacement disc installed in 1983 from Victoria British.
4 Single heavy weight springs, smooth to the touch dark brownish non-slotted friction material, center splined hub 1 1/4” long, and flywheel side of center hub protrudes 1/2” from center plate of disc. Engraved markings: Made in Great Britain Fly Wheel Side
upload_2022-8-8_8-32-2.jpeg
I can’t understand why the surface is brown and so smooth to the touch. Is it glazed real bad or is it a very different friction material. If I spin it by hand on the pressure plate surface it appears to have decent friction/resistance. This disc was in the vehicle which was driven occasionally from 1983 until 1988. I lost a rod bearing in 1988 and the vehicle sat in storage until 2019 when I finally took the time to fix it. Procrastinated for 31 years. It has been driven about 1000 miles since then. The clutch worked fine, no slippage, no noise etc. The disc is nowhere close to being worn down to the rivets.
I have the tranny out now to address some synchro issues, so I figured I’d put a new disc and throw out bearing in while I’m at it. Flywheel and pressure plate surfaces are a little glazed, but no burning, and no cracks or scoring.

Number 3. Replacement disc just purchased from Sunbeam Specialties.
4 Double lighter weight springs, slightly rough to the touch greyish black slotted friction material, center splined hub 1 1/16” long, and flywheel side of center hub protrudes 5/16” from center plate of disc. Engraved markings: None
upload_2022-8-8_8-31-1.jpeg

Questions for when I get my transmission back. Should I have my flywheel resurfaced or just clean it up with 100 grit sandpaper since there are no burns or cracks. Would the sandpaper leave too smooth of a surface or is there no such thing as too smooth?
Same question goes for the pressure plate (not sure they can resurface pressure plates)?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Having had lots of problems with incorrectly supplied clutch parts over the years I would advise you that if your clutch was working with a particular set of components previously get those ones reconditioned and use them again. There are so many differences across these Rootes engines ranging from boss widths, spline numbers, plate widths, pivot plinth heights etc it is very easy to find that the parts you have in combination don't work together correctly. It can be very difficult to find out what is actually causing the problem as you have to keep pulling the engine or gearbox out. If you have a working set up, refurb it.
Also be careful what throw out bearing you fit. In the UK we have had a lot of problems with pattern bearings breaking up.
Tim R