• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Clutch Cover

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Has anyone been able to locate a source for a Series V Clutch Cover (pressure plate assembly).
Joey

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm the source. I have several very decent used, reusable clutch covers and NOS discs available.

As far as I know, new SV clutch covers have been N.L.A. for 6+ years.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
The advice I would give you from the UK would be to get your current clutch plates re-conditioned. Even if you do buy new, don't throw the old parts away as they are fully re-conditionable. Over the years we have bought various clutches that we were assured were correct but once fitted we found that they didn't work correctly. That is a pain when you have to take the engine or gearbox out again to sort it out. Once you know you have a working clutch it is a lot easier to just get the bits reconditioned as you know that they will work. On one defective clutch the problem was that the central boss on the plate was 3mm too long, that was enough to make the clutch stop working when fully depressed. Identifying that as the problem was a nightmare.
I am sure that you have many places that recondition and reline clutches and brakes etc. We use Precision Clutch Components to re-condition ours, they are shown in this video on the Sunbeam Alpine Channel.
Tim R

Attachments

• P1070587.JPG
    P1070587.JPG
    499.8 KB · Views: 17
  • P1070590.JPG
    P1070590.JPG
    499.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P1070591.JPG
    P1070591.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 17

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Closer to home, meaning in this country, I've used Falcon Clutch on Long Island to refurnish SV clutch disks
and pressure plates. They do a fantastic job and are reasonable with their costs.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Dang. Now I find out. I have long suspected that my clutch cover was wrong for the Alpine. It did not look like the stock cover that I'm used to. But I got it from Sunbeam Specialties 25 years or so and installed it. I was just going to buy one to have for whenever I feel like pulling the engine out - to find out they are NLA. So I'll be listing a wanted ad for either a new one or one that can be rebuilt!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I do need one. The one in the car is something odd. I don’t trust it is the right measurements. I would like to have a correct one for when I get in there.

Or my disc is warped or my pilot bearing is too small. But I will see once I get in there.

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Jay, I got a new old stock one from Rootes Parts Service in Holland August 2022. Price was 195.00 + 50.00 outright surcharge for not sending in a core + 58.74 shipping = 303.74 Euros Total. At the time the euro was close to US so it cost me $307.57 US Total (including Wise transfer fees)
More to the story, he accidentally sent me the wrong one. He sent me an 8 1/2" Borg&Beck for a Sunbeam Holbay 1725 cc engined car. A 100 HP version of the Alpine engine. It is identical to my original 7 1/4"/7 1/2" Borg&Beck with exception of the diameter. When I contacted them about the mistake, he gave me two options, 1. Send me a flywheel to match, or 2. The correct one.
I advised I would rather have the correct one so as to keep my Alpine stock. He immediately shipped out the correct one no charge.
$300 may sound pricey, but it was new, not refurbished, and still in the original wax wrappings and I have paid a lot more for some parts to keep my 50+ year old Beamer going!
The issue I have with the few clutch covers I have are heat cracks on the "release pad". I was unable to find anyone (including First Line Group who took over for B&B/AP Clutch) that sells this as a replacement part. The clutch people I contacted in the US advised me they would have to make one if they were to rebuild any of my units. Pictures below show cracks on original 1967 Borg&Beck replaced in 1981 by Victoria British Cover (Unknown Brand, only markings say Made in England).

I still have the 8 1/2" one for the souped up 1725 as he has not figured out a way for me to return it (probably figures the return shipping costs outweigh his profit on the item). If anyone knows of someone who needs this 8 1/2" version, they can contact me and maybe I can sell it for Mr. Dupont. Would require the flywheel with larger diameter hole centers and larger clutch disc. I am located in North Dakota.

Just a note, Rootes Parts Service are great people to work with. I have gotten a few hard to find parts in the past few years from them (1725cc camshaft, 1725cc rocker arms, and even a Windshield in early 2021 when nothing was available in the US (he shipped it on a Monday morning and amazingly it was in my hands in North Dakota on Wednesday afternoon) Still don't know how UPS managed that!!!
Joey

Attachments

• Cracks Original 1967 B&B Cover.jpg
    Cracks Original 1967 B&B Cover.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • Cracks Replacement Cover VB 1981.jpg
    Cracks Replacement Cover VB 1981.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited: