• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine: Fitting a Roller clutch release bearing

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video shows how we fitted a high-quality roller release clutch bearing to our Alpine. After over 2,000 miles of use the roller bearing continues to be light, smooth and just quiet like a modern car clutch. There is nothing wrong with the original style carbon graphite bearing but there have been problems with some pattern parts and getting a good one can be a challenge. This is an alternative that is worth considering.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I love the idea of a roller-style throwout bearing... much smoother and worry free.

However... and it's kind of a big however... the key to using an actual bearing is that it absolutely must be centralized... if it's the slightest bit off-center at any point during use there will be considerable friction and wear between the surface of the bearing housing and the pressure plate, since they will be sliding against each other instead of rotating in sync. With a graphite bearing, it doesn't really matter if it's centralized or not - the graphite will provide a lubricated surface regardless.

I'm not sure how this roller bearing remains correctly centralized during the entire throw.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Kevin,
I have nothing against the carbon graphite bearing, I just wish I could still buy one made by Rootes! The pattern ones breaking up are causing mayhem to people's cars.
As stated in the video and shown in the trigonometry calculation, the movement ACROSS the thrust face is just 0.0075" which is negligible. The bearing won't be sliding across the thrust face (although I have seen the videos online that claim that this is what happens, it isn't). The bearing actually self-centres as it starts to spin so is unlikely to be anything other than centralised, the 'entire throw' is actually quite a short distance of travel as the plate spring gets compressed. When you feel the free play that you typically get in the arm pivot I doubt that it moves across the face at all once the bearing and thrust face have made contact.

Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin,
I have nothing against the carbon graphite bearing, I just wish I could still buy one made by Rootes! The pattern ones breaking up are causing mayhem to people's cars.
Tim R
When replacing mine back in 2010 (iirc) the new made in india one broke up very quickly...the next one from anothe indian mfg ( purrel ? ) had a surface depth and overall size quite different from stock.. Ended up going to a low millage original from a Hillman parts car.. Not been a problem since.

I documented this on what must now be 2 forums ago.. Had photos of parts too.. But all since vanished into the intenet black hole...

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Michael,
What you are describing is what a number of people have experienced in England. The poor quality of pattern parts is causing us real issues. If they are not going to make them so that they work correctly what is the point? We have had rotor arms that are so short they make the car almost impossible to start yet once owners have fitted them they think that it can't be the rotor arm as it is brand new!

Tim R