• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 flywheel

Floor guy

Donation Time
What is a good part number for a flywheel for the v6 conversion? My engine is from an 85 ranger and has a clutch and flywheel still on it. Will that work with the mustang II bellhousing?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Unless your flywheel has heat/stress cracks in it, have it resurfaced and use it. You may want to check the ring gear teeth and if chewed up, remove it and reverse to opposite side. Sorry, don't have a part #.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You need a clutch disk with 10 splines to work with the T5. There is a 9 1/8" diameter for a Mustang/Tbird Turbo 4 that used a T5. There is a 10" disk that was used 60's to 70's Ford V8 for the earlier 3 and 4 speed that has the right splines too.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Most use the Mustang II flywheel and clutch. I think you can make your flywheel work with the right clutch. What diameter is the Ranger clutch disk?

Dillon65

Donation Time
If you are using the ranger transmission you can use that flywheel. I believe that ranger clutch disc is 9 inch with 23 tooth sshine.
The mustang II clutch is a 9.5 inch 10 tooth spline. And the early 4.0 v6 use a 10 inch disc 23 tooth spline. If you are going with a t5 transmission your options are the expensive 9.5 disc/pressure plate package or use an early 4.0 v6 flywheel and pressure plate and a 1960-1975 ford v8 clutch 10 inch disc. All will fit inside the mustang II bellhousing. I believe after 1995 ford changed the v6 flywheel bolt pattern. Also, if you go the 10 inch route, have the flywheel lightened. That much mass is not needed for the how light an Alpine is. Hope this helps

Floor guy

Donation Time
Does no one have the part number of the mustang II v6 flywheel? I find it hard to believe with all the v6 conversions no one can tell me what the part number is.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
F-G,

Usually DanR has part #'s like that. Surprised he's not chimed in, yet.

Be aware that if you find a MII flywheel, it has become one of those listings that is difficult to find a correct, matching pressure plate to use with it. IIRC, there has been more than one MII flywheel redrilled for a Ranger pressure plate.

Out of curiosity, I checked RockAuto's site for Ranger clutch parts. All I noticed was the price of the one flywheel part # in stock. I think RA is trying to unload any relevant stock in that age of Ranger parts.

Just something of which to be aware.

Hope this helps,

Dillon65

Donation Time
I have 4 mustang II flywheels and 1 ranger flywheel. None of them have a ford or any other part number stamped on them. The mustang II 6 flywheel pressure plate bolts are evenly space where as the ranger pressure plate bolts are grouped 2 closer together spaced every third of the flywheel. The mustang pressure plate and clutch disc are to large to fit on the ranger flywheel. I also have 3 of the proper bellhousings. I sent DanR 3 bellhousings last year, but have located a few more.

Dillon65

Donation Time
Summit racing has what looks like the correct clutch/ pressure plate kit for the mustang II. Part number Ram 88398. $351.00

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Does no one have the part number of the mustang II v6 flywheel? I find it hard to believe with all the v6 conversions no one can tell me what the part number is.

Welcome to the site.
Probably not getting an immediate reply because those that have done the conversion have installed the flywheel and don’t have access to a part number. And not everyone looks at the site daily. A little patience might be in order.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Research the part number

this came as part of a package I got from a guy who raced a 2.8 turbo mercury capri. I’m having a friend of mine at a Ford dealership try to research the part number see what the heck it is.

Attachments

• 752C7397-5ACD-4ACD-AE66-1ACEC429B4C6.jpeg
    752C7397-5ACD-4ACD-AE66-1ACEC429B4C6.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 21

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
No help.

“That fits 1983-2003 ford rangers, aerostars and explorers 2.3 & 4 liters”

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Like I said, no help.

I’m going to give it to a friend that does metal sculpture welding.