• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering box question

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Looking for some help with putting my series 2 steering box back together. I have attempted this job a few times but the steering column doesn't seem to go down far enough into the box to bolt it up. I think the problem is with the bottom track. Does the track just get pushed into the recess at the bottom of the box or pressed in and then the balls greased into position?

Attachments

• 20220801_112625.jpg
    20220801_112625.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 32

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
It looks like you are attempting to reassemble everything while the box is still attached to the car. Yikes! It just about drove me crazy trying to get things back together with everything on a bench. I can’t even imagine the frustration of trying to put it all back together while constrained by the confines of the engine compartment.

Perhaps one or more of the bearings may have fallen out of the race and is preventing the shaft from seating properly. As Toyanvil mentioned, use lots of grease to hold the bearings in place when inserting the shaft.

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes trying to do it in the car. No engine in place though. Next step may be taking it back out. The lower track that looks like a cup isn't sitting firmly in its recess. I wondered if that should be pressed in place first?? Thanks for the advice!!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Does the track just get pushed into the recess at the bottom of the box or pressed in and then the balls greased into position?
Did you remove the bearing race (or track)? How are doing the preload adjustment with the shims?
Jan

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
The rack has been out of the car for years. I was hoping that it would go back as per the workshop manual. I have all the original shims

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is the best way to set the preload.
Image-445-XL.jpg

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
I removed the rack and box all together. Never took them apart. I was hoping to put back as is. Trying to save some steps