• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ballast and Coil

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am replacing my coil and ballast due to starting/running issues. My Alpine is a IV, positive ground.

The coil is a Lucas Sports, DLB110. I have figured out the old coils SW (negative) and CB (positive) designations relative to the new coil.

My question is on the ballast (see picture plus picture of original coil/ballast set up). On the new ballast it is marked as "+" on the black wire side (no markings on old ballast). This implies that it would connect to the "-" side of the coil. That doesn't seem correct.

The WSM stated the ballast is connected in series. So I think the black wire needs to be removed, then the "+" ballast tab then receives the white (creamish) wire from the harness (as per picture of original set up). The "-" side of the ballast then connect to the "-" coil connector using a short white green wire.

Is my thinking correct? Don't want to connect incorrectly and cause more problems than I have. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210817_171627.jpg
    20210817_171627.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220801_120931 (1).jpg
    20220801_120931 (1).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 27

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
As I recall the ballast resistor on the Alpines and Tigers are just a resistor in which case you can install them either direction.
If you ohm the ballast from either direction and measure a difference then there is a diode inside and it will matter which way you install it.
Howard