• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine: The Club Weber Carb set-up

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video covers the so called ‘Club Weber Carburettor and curved inlet manifold’ set-up. This is the first of three videos relating to carburettors that are planned for the Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube. Lots has been said and written about the Club Weber Carb set-up previously comparing it with the original specification carburettors, with various claims as to how much the curved manifold actually improves performance and economy.

This video gives definitive evidence of the set-up's performance. Using a tracker to accurately measure distance and time rather than relying on the car’s speedo to give 100% accurate data and a rolling road to give measured data. We have fitted these carburettors to our own Alpines and in our honest belief, this is the biggest single improvement that you can make to any Alpine (or similar engined Rootes car).

The improvement in miles per gallon will ensure that the system quickly pays for itself but the improvement in all round performance will be what really puts a smile on your face.

NOTE: We have no connection with Alpine Innovations who supply this system and we paid full list price for each carburettor that we have bought.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I wonder how the manifold woth a TBI setup would work...in theory even better.

Even the weber dgv style FI setup.

https://www.classicfuelinjection.co.uk/weber-retroject

classicfuelinjection-weber-retroject-228x228.jpg

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I contacted Jerome, a delightful Sunbeamer, at Alpine Innovations and got a quick response. I should have purchased the manifold when I was at the Sunbeam spares day this last Spring. My reluctance was the number of parts I had already accumulated and I wasn't certain I could get anymore in my luggage. As it turned out I was right.

upload_2022-8-1_13-54-44.png

I went ahead and ordered up a manifold from Jerome at Alpine Innovations. This will improve flow in 1 and 4. I already have a 38 dges Weber that brings about 15% more torque at low rpms with the stock single Solex intake manifold.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I've always found Jerome really helpful, a proper committed Sunbeam owner who really knows his stuff, you won't be disappointed once you fit the new manifold because you really need that. The Weber carb on its own is only giving you about half of the improvement.

It would be interesting if you posted your experiences of the difference it makes on here once you've fitted it and run it for a while. I found that I immediately noticed the performance improvement but it was several months before I realised just how much the fuel economy had been transformed and how much money it was saving me. Petrol is so very expensive in the U.K. that the carb pays for itself quite quickly.

Tim R

albeam

Donation Time
hi Tim,

i fitted the Alpine Innovations system with the air filter located down in the left hand horn hole and i feel it is at least more then comparable to the Twin SU carburettors that were there prior. getting a smooth idle was probably the bit that took a little bit of time as i have a mild piper cam but really the power delivery is very smooth through the rev range. Yes was not cheap, especially with costs to australia but it does what it says, and is reliable. A very worthwhile purchase. running car on 98 octane. love the videos brilliant work.!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Albeam when the development guys put the same car on the rolling road twice and just changed the carbs over and nothing else, the improvement was 17% more power, plus the Club Weber set-up stays in tune, doesn't need synchronising, never splits its diaphragm and is MUCH more economical.
I am currently developing a video that will tell the story of how the set-up came to be made, the history behind it and the difficulties that the team experienced in bringing it from the 1970s Rootes slant engine prototype to a fully finished product ready to market. It is a great story of perseverance that finally delivered the carburation set up that Rootes should have installed back in the day.
Tim R