• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 5 front end swap into a series 2-Issues

Shabazz

Donation Time
I was under the impression that the front ends for all the series front ends were interchangeable.

I think I might be wrong.

Today I lowered my series 2 body down on the series 5 front end and it doesn't quite fit. (I bought this front end because it was all set with the Jose' motor mounts etc.) The series 2 front end had an attachment bracket at the top of the shock tower that bolted to the body, I removed that as well as the series 2 front end. The shock towers on the series 5 front end rub up on the inside wheel well. It is too tight of a fit.

It was my understanding that the series 5 shock tower did NOT attach to the body through the wheel well, that it simply existed without attachment to the wheel well with a bit of clearance.

Now I'm wondering if I'm misinformed or if it is a case of not all sunbeam alpines are like another.

Does anyone have any insight? I'm so close to having the 2.8 bolted up, yet so far...

I still have the series 2 front end and could prepare that if I need to, but I bought everything together thinking it would be plug and play-ish

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
It is a snug fit ,but it does go. I have done several early series front end upgrades. They do tend to rub a bit going together, don't let it concern you it will be fine. The early series connectors are not used in the swap. Hope this helps.
Jeff

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did a late series suspension upgrade on my SI V6 conversion project…for whatever reason everything seemed to fit fine including the upper attachment bracket that I transferred from my SI…I also upgraded the rear suspension to an SV….that took a bit more work including modifying the leaf spring mounts and transferring the rear shock tower sheet metal from the parts car into my SI. I have discovered however that the dimensions of the x-brace under the car are different between early and late series which has presented a challenge or two with the conversion.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The use of "tie brackets" to further fasten the front suspension to the frame rail was eliminated during mid-production of early Series IV (B940 bodies). The four 1/2" UNF. X 3 1/4" Bolts are more than enough to secure the cross to the frame, as evident in all SV production and Tiger.

Mark ..... v

alpine_64

Donation Time
Iirc some of the very early siv's still had the kingpin front ends and also round faceted warning lights per S3.
I think the tie bars stopped with the switch to the full ball joint front.