• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes Heritage Day 17th July 2022 Full Video

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This is a video of The Rootes Heritage Day at The British Car Museum in Gaydon on 17th July 2022. It was organised by The Rootes Archive Charitable Trust and includes clips of some of the nicest cars at the show as well as interviews with their owners. When were there last two Sunbeam Venezias together at the same location?
Then we have a brief look around the museum itself and look at some of the unique prototypes and 'could have beens' of the British car industry. This is an excellent car museum, if you’ve never been and find yourself nearby, give yourself a treat and go.

Tim R

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tim, well done. It brought back fresh memories as I was there for the Sunbeam/Rootes spares meet this past Spring. Way to end the shots as you wondered around the gathering with one of the most exquisite Harrington Le Mans restorations done by Andrew Yates.
Cheers

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Great video, Tim! I saw some Rootes cars I've never seen before and a couple, like the Imp-based kit cars, I never new existed. Thanks for creating and sharing it.

But, are there no Sunbeams inside the museum?

albeam

Donation Time
Very good Tim, didn't Rootes make some classy cars over the years. great coverage and really enjoying the audio.

albeam

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
It has been about 4 years since I last visited the Museum and at that time they had very few Rootes cars on display inside. Maybe an Imp and a Hunter rally car? The Coventry Motor Museum had a fair number of Rootes cars though.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Indeed. If you want to see Rootes cars go to Coventry Museum. Gaydon has a lot of BLMC stuff which is kind of boring for us Rootes nuts. The venue however is nice and we enjoyed the Spares Day there...

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Great video, Tim! I saw some Rootes cars I've never seen before and a couple, like the Imp-based kit cars, I never new existed. Thanks for creating and sharing it.

But, are there no Sunbeams inside the museum?

The Sunbeam below was at the National Motor Museum in the UK during my recent 2022 European trip. I had a good look around after acquiring a Rootes Service sign at the Autojumble in Beaulieu, UK.

upload_2022-7-23_14-15-36.png

upload_2022-7-23_14-15-13.png

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
A couple photos from my Coventry Museum trip in 2013. No Alpine at the time or I just didn't take a photo.

One of the strikes that put a heavy toll on the Rootes Group's financials.

upload_2022-7-23_14-24-22.png

A 1960 Rapier
upload_2022-7-23_14-24-47.png

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
index.php

A video about some of the history of the red car is here:

https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/sunbeam-history.30518/

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I know that the archive centre plan to have a Heritage Day next year but I do not know the date. It might be worth e-mailing them and asking. If you are thinking of coming over and attending I would thoroughly recommend it.

Tim R