• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smarter than the previous generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
When my wife first got her license, her father wouldn't let her take the car out on her own until she had rotated all four tires (back when rotations included the spare). While some have suggested that he was just getting a free tire rotation, she was never worried about changing a tire herself if needed. I have always been sorry that I didn't do the same with my daughters.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
My 35 year old stepdaughter bought her first car, a 2004 Subaru, from her mom 11 years ago. The first thing we did together on the car was to change all the fluids. I began a step in all the procedures with a lesson on each system. Then she took over with each additional step. She is a research biologist working 250 miles West. The two or three times a year she comes over there is usually something to be done. Like the right rear window stopped going up and down. Sometimes coming over is not an option. About three months ago she called up about how the crank pulley came loose on the Subaru. We talked about it and I said, "I will be over in a couple weeks if you want me to help." She replied, "No I already ordered the parts and I want to do it." Understand this is a street repair process (no garage). A week later, utilizing my famous last words after I do a repair job, she calls and says, "It's running better than it has ever run." Recently she called me about the outboard motor on her sailing boat and how it was running very rough. I suggested it most likely needed a complete tune up with a carburetor cleaning and she might want to take it to the marina's repair shop. She said, "Don't you think I can do it?" I replied, "Just be careful working over the water not to drop any parts." She completed the task the very next weekend. What did she tell me? "It's running better than it has ever run."

Having a 1991 Miata and a 2002 Miata with two parts cars I sold some parts through Craigslist. Two different Miata owners came to get parts. Both 20 something in age. There enthusiasm for working on cars was as I remember my buddies when I was that age. They both loved the Sunbeam collection and we did a lot of "car talk." There is a large part of the population that just doesn't have a mechanical or problem solving aptitude and they leave that to the microcosm of car enthusiasts or go buy another car. Just like I'm not one to repair the holes in my work jeans. I leave that to my Nancy or rotate them to the rag bin.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Hence: AAA or CAA. For my yearly fee, they bring me gas, install my spare, or tow me to where someone else can fix it.
my hands are clean.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
A young engineer I work with got a flat on his ford f150. He didn't know how to change it, and didn't know not to drive on it to get it to a shop who could repair it. I told him I needed to have a chat with his father, because I felt he had failed at raising a son. And this is a kid who graduated with an engineering degree, imagine the poor liberal arts grads and the things they will never know how to do.

liberal arts grad here with a doctorate in choral music.... I learned to drive a stick at age 11 - 1928 Model A. I do almost all my own mechanical and electrical work and have no fear of rebuilding/repairing Sunbeams...body work excepted.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think you would agree that you are an exception to the stereotype.
It seems like we are dependent on "exceptions" in order to make the world go around. And stereotypes are just that, not at all important in the grand scheme of things. Interestingly enough, history is full of the "gone to hell in a hand basket" stereotype of the then current generation. To test the validity of the current stereotype, recall the terrific student survivors of the Stoneman-Douglas School mass shooting.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think you would agree that you are an exception to the stereotype.
Ok. Ive tried to keep light hearted about this... But its getting a bit silly... I sit mid generation to this argument... I'm of the cross over of generations between mechancial/manual vs digital/automated...

There are a lot of under 30s that probably roll their eyes at the number of 60+ who cant download files, post things or resize an image properly in a forum they have used for decades... Scan and fill in a QR code form....and they can't comprehend that while we roll our eyes at them not driving a manual car or rebuilding an outdated mechancial system... They have worked out how to program a car to drive itself.. Create a car using limited moving parts and fluids...
And for all the love we have of mechancial things ... Find me a petrol powered supercap car that wont get its ar$e kicked by a 4 doot family electric car...
Not our preference... But is mostly the present and surely the future...

I guess some miss the days good old days of TB, polio, measles etc.. That said... the older gens pushing the " better days" are bringing some of that back too.... :rolleyes: . so maybe there is hope for some old issues to make a comeback

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A few days until my 80th birthday and I miss the good old days, but not much. I mostly yearn for the ability to control the infernal machine, widely known as "The Computer." About the only thing I really miss is my youth, Most of the people that miss the "good old days" want to return to something that never was. All of which reminds me of something I read a few years back. "I'm not the man I used be, but I'm not so sure I ever was."
Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
You damn kids get off of my lawn. ;)
And on that note, I think I will lock this thread down. I posted the meme because I found it funny, not because I wanted to start a discussion - or potentially, an argument - about the pros and cons of different generations. Having spent much of my career as a statistician, I will leave this with one last comment: averages are important, but they tell you absolutely nothing about individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.